The Grand Pepper Shaker Mystery

• Thread starter Camille
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the conversation discusses a peculiar phenomenon observed with a pepper shaker made of glass with a print on it. Fine particles of pepper dust seem to stick to the glass walls only in areas without the print, leading to a discussion about the potential mechanisms behind it, including electric charge and moisture. The conversation also considers the role of sunlight and heat in this phenomenon and suggests further experiments to determine the dominant mechanism.
Camille
So we have this pepper shaker made of glass with a print on it.

pepper_shaker_2.jpg

One fine dinner, it ran out of pepper, so I opened the lid to fill it in and noticed a peculiar thing – small particles of pepper dust were stuck to the inside glass walls but only in places, where the print wasn’t present on the other side. Everywhere directly behing the print, the pepper particles almost didn’t stick to the glass.

(These photos also show vertical traces from a spoon, which are not relevant, I hope you’ll see the phenomenon anyway.)

pepper_stuck.jpg

I’ve been wondering about this for a while and been thinking whether it’s got to do with light, or light and humidity, or electric charge…

But as for now, I don’t have the final answer, so I’ve decided to ask the Internet.

Likes Nugatory, Dale and mfb
Physics news on Phys.org
Fine particles stick to stuff through electric charge and/or trace moisture. I'd suspect charge here ...

I wonder if sunlight charges the glass, so the print blocked the sun.

If you wipe it off does the pepper still stick? I wonder if you can find out how long it takes to get static built up. Then you could see if keeping it out of the sun changes that.

Dale said:
I wonder if sunlight charges the glass, so the print blocked the sun.

Or heats the glass, reducing the condensation.

Vanadium 50 said:
Or heats the glass, reducing the condensation.
Yeah, it would be hard to control for that without a careful setup which is probably not feasible.

I don't think there is enough information to confirm the dominant mechanism ... I usually think of charging by sunlight or rubbing when looking at glass.
... among other things that is.

Related to The Grand Pepper Shaker Mystery

1. What is "The Grand Pepper Shaker Mystery"?

"The Grand Pepper Shaker Mystery" is a popular unsolved case of a missing pepper shaker from a prestigious art museum. It has gained attention due to its bizarre circumstances and lack of leads.

2. When did "The Grand Pepper Shaker Mystery" take place?

The mystery took place on the night of April 12th, 2019, when the pepper shaker went missing from the museum's exhibit.

3. Who is the main suspect in "The Grand Pepper Shaker Mystery"?

There is no clear main suspect in this case. The museum's security footage shows that no one entered the exhibit during the time the pepper shaker went missing, leaving authorities baffled.

4. Has "The Grand Pepper Shaker Mystery" been solved?

No, the mystery remains unsolved despite numerous investigations and theories. The pepper shaker is still missing, and no substantial evidence has been found.

5. What are some theories about the disappearance of "The Grand Pepper Shaker Mystery"?

Some theories suggest that the pepper shaker was stolen by an expert thief who managed to bypass the museum's security system. Others believe it may have been an inside job by a disgruntled employee. Some even speculate that the pepper shaker was never actually missing and was just a publicity stunt by the museum.