The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around the geometric interpretation of a 1-D curve as the derivative of an area function and the relationship between integration and differentiation. The conversation also mentions the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the concept of primitives. It explains how the function representing the area under the curve is a primitive of the function and how this relates to the integral of piecewise continuous functions.
Chump

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this concept. I understand integration and differentiation individually. I even understand the algebraic manipulations that reveals their close relationship. However, the typical geometric interpretation of a 1-D curve being the derivative of the area function below it seems odd to me. I'm trying to get an intuitive understanding of how a 1-D curve, say A'(x) = f(x) , is the derivative of an area function, A(x). I think I might know where my source of confusion lays: When dealing with derivatives, I'm used to visualizing in terms of tangent lines drawn to a 1-D curve. It seems weird to apply it to an area function, which is more irregular polygon than it is 1-D curve. I hope my concerns make sense.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Googling doesn't help ?

try googling

mit Session 47: Introduction of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

and watch that

+ S[x+dx] = S[x] + f(x)dx. Obvious from geometry. => f(x)=S'(x)

William White said:
try googling

mit Session 47: Introduction of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

and watch that
Great video, but it didn't quite answer my question. I might not have been able to articulate my question that well over the internet. Oh, well. Thanks, anyhow.

I think the missing link between integration and differentiation is primitiv(-isation,-ization, -ation, ..., I don't know). It is the 'reciprocal' operation to differentiation: ##\phi## is a primitive of a piecewise continuous fonction ##f## if and only if ##\phi## is differentiable on the domain of ##f## and ##\phi' = f##.
The set of all primitives of ##f## vary by an additive constant. So all primitives of ##f## have the form ##\phi = \phi_0 + C##, where ##\phi_0## is a particular primitive of ##f##.
It happens that the function ##\phi_0(x) :=\int_{x_0}^x f(t) dt ## is a primitive of ##f## wherever ##f## is continuous (just show that if ## f## is continuous in ##a##, ## \frac{\phi_0(x) - \phi_0(a)}{x-a} \rightarrow f(a) ## as ## x\rightarrow a## ). I think it explains a little bit the link between integration and differentiation.The link between the area under the curve of ##f##, defined on ##[a,b]##, and its integral, comes from the construction of the integral of piecewise continuous functions from the integral of step-functions on ##[a,b]##, which are homogenous to an area

Related to The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that relates the concepts of differentiation and integration. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then the integral of its derivative on that interval is equal to the difference of the function's values at the endpoints of the interval.

Why is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus important?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is important because it provides a powerful tool for evaluating integrals. It allows us to use the simpler process of differentiation to find the area under a curve, which would otherwise be a much more complicated process.

How does the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus relate to the concept of anti-derivatives?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is closely related to the concept of anti-derivatives. The first part of the theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then it has an anti-derivative. This anti-derivative can be found by evaluating the integral of the function's derivative on that interval.

What is the difference between the first and second parts of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The first part of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then it has an anti-derivative. The second part states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and its derivative is integrable on that interval, then the integral of the function's derivative is equal to the difference of the function's values at the endpoints of the interval.

How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus used in real-life applications?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It allows us to calculate important quantities such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, work, and probability. It also helps us to solve optimization problems and make predictions based on data.