The explanation of brownian motion

In summary, the phenomenon of Brownian motion is a result of thermal molecular motion in the liquid environment, where particles are randomly bombarded by molecules from all sides, causing small random jumps. This was first described by Einstein in his 1905 paper. It can be compared to the board game Crossfire, and is related to the Langevin equation.
Misr
http://xanadu.math.utah.edu/java/brownianmotion/1/

"In my way of thinking the phenomenon is a result of thermal molecular motion in the liquid environment (of the particles)." This is indeed the case. A suspended particle is constantly and randomly bombarded from all sides by molecules of the liquid. If the particle is very small, the hits it takes from one side will be stronger than the bumps from other side, causing it to jump. These small random jumps are what make up Brownian motion.
I can't imagine

Physics news on Phys.org
It happens to be correct. Einstein first described this in one of his famous 1905 papers.

okay,I still can't imagine
the phenomenon is a result of thermal molecular motion in the liquid environment (of the particles)." This is indeed the case. A suspended particle is constantly and randomly bombarded from all sides by molecules of the liquid. If the particle is very small, the hits it takes from one side will be stronger than the bumps from other side, causing it to jump

What can't you imagine? And please don't repeat the same quoted text again.

Misr said:
okay,I still can't imagine

It's similar to the board/tabletop game Crossfire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_(board_game )

The molecules and atoms impact the object at random intervals. This leads to small motions as the object is hit more on one side than the other in a short period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, you've stated a fact - that you can't imagine. I guess this thread is done. Commencing lockage... 10...9...

Unless you had a question you wanted to ask.

Related to The explanation of brownian motion

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid. It was first observed by Robert Brown in 1827.

2. What causes Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is caused by the collision of particles with molecules in the surrounding fluid.

3. What is the importance of Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is important in understanding various physical and biological phenomena such as diffusion, osmosis, and the behavior of microscopic particles in a fluid.

4. How is Brownian motion related to the kinetic theory of gases?

Brownian motion is a direct result of the kinetic theory of gases, which states that particles in a gas are in constant motion and collide with each other.

5. Can Brownian motion be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Brownian motion can be observed in everyday life in the movement of smoke particles, the diffusion of perfume, and the random movement of pollen grains in water.