The electron momentum is E/c, so that its speed is....

In summary: Please show your attempt.In summary, the conversation is about a physics question involving equations E = γmc2, p = γmv, K = E - mc2, and E2 = c2p2 + m2c4. The question involves finding the final part of the solution and the person asking for help has already completed most of the question, but is struggling with the final part. The person helping has requested for the entire question and the attempted solution to be provided according to forum guidelines.
Physics Student 1234

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-24_11-47-57.png

Homework Equations

E = γmc2
p = γmv
K = E - mc2
E2 = c2p2 + m2c4

The Attempt at a Solution

I have completed most of this question, but I am struggling to get the required result to the final part of the question.[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-24_11-25-8.png
    upload_2017-12-24_11-25-8.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 434
  • upload_2017-12-24_11-47-57.png
    upload_2017-12-24_11-47-57.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 954
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please note that forum guidelines require you to show your attempted solution. Without it, how are we supposed to see where you have gone wrong?

Also, please include (and preferably type out) the entire question. It seems to me that what you have given is a part of a larger question. Taken out of context, the question makes no sense since the energy divided by c is only the momentum for a massless particle, which the electron is not.

Orodruin said:
Please note that forum guidelines require you to show your attempted solution. Without it, how are we supposed to see where you have gone wrong?

Also, please include (and preferably type out) the entire question. It seems to me that what you have given is a part of a larger question. Taken out of context, the question makes no sense since the energy divided by c is only the momentum for a massless particle, which the electron is not.

I've posted the rest of the question. My attempts at this part of the question are lots of messy algebraic manipulations. I'd just like to know the correct way to approach the problem.

The forum rules require you to provide your attempt. It is not optional Nobody here is going to reply unless you do since that would also break forum rules.

Related to The electron momentum is E/c, so that its speed is....

1. What is the relationship between the electron momentum and its speed?

The electron momentum is directly proportional to its speed, according to the equation p = E/c, where p is the momentum, E is the energy, and c is the speed of light.

2. How is the speed of an electron calculated using its momentum?

The speed of an electron can be calculated by dividing its momentum by the speed of light, as shown in the equation v = p/c, where v is the speed and p is the momentum.

3. Why is the speed of light used in the equation for electron momentum?

The speed of light is used because it is a fundamental constant that relates to the maximum speed at which energy and information can travel. It provides a standard unit of measurement for comparing the momentum of different particles, including electrons.

4. How does the momentum of an electron affect its behavior?

The momentum of an electron determines its motion and behavior, as it is a measure of its mass and velocity. Higher momentum electrons will have a greater impact when interacting with other particles or objects.

5. Is the momentum of an electron constant or does it change over time?

In classical mechanics, the momentum of an electron is considered to be constant. However, in quantum mechanics, the momentum of an electron can change over time due to its wave-like nature and interactions with other particles.