The effects of carpenter's shop on the soil

In summary, a 9th grade high school student from Turkey is conducting a project on the effects of iron from waste nails and screws on soil mineral ratios and how it may affect fruit trees. They have observed that trees near carpenter's shops have bigger fruits and are questioning if the iron from waste materials could be a factor. They are also considering if sawdust may act as a fertilizer. Suggestions have been made to conduct further observations and research on the effects of iron and other soil minerals on plant nutrition, as well as the correlation between carpenter's shops and plant response. It has also been noted that sawdust is high in carbon and may eventually break down to improve soil organic content, but may cause a temporary nitrogen deficiency during
LiLLiTH
Hi everybody,
I am searching for a project and I need help.
Last year I realized that the trees which are around carpenters shops' have bigger fruits than the others.
I am searching about it. Can the Iron which comes from waste neils and screws affect the soil's mineral ratios?
How can they combine with the soil and how that will affect the trees?

these are my first questions. thanks for your interest... :)

Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to or PF community!
Is this for a school project or something you have been pondering on your own?
If for a school project, what level is this for? (grade?)

It sounds like you are developing an hypothesis that you wish to test.
I cannot think of anything unique about a carpenter's shop that would increase soil fertility. So, to test your hypothesis, how many carpenter shops have you observed? Can you quantify your suspected increase in yield from the plants around the shops and compare to the same plants 'not near' such a location? This is an attempt to establish any correlation between carpentry shops and plant response.

You questioned iron. Have you researched the effects of iron and other soil minerals, on plant nutrition? There are references on the web that can help with this question.

What are your observations? Are you seeing this around many shops, or around just a particular one? Are you sure it is just carpenter's shops, and not similar structures?

If fruit is larger next to buildings, the first thing I'd look at is an increase in watering due to rainfall runoff from the structure's roof.

Could it be that saw dust is an excellent fertilizer?

First of all I orserved two plum trees and I realized that difference. That is project for my own. I observed the other plum trees around many buildings in a certain area. the climate or the other effects are equal but the only difference is soil. Around the carpenter's shops there is "dust" iron. All of the trees were in our garden and we were giving equal water to them at the same time everyday. also I want to add one thing, I am a 9th grade high school student at turkey so I don't know many things and I am trying to learn and search.

LiLLiTH said:
First of all I orserved two plum trees and I realized that difference. That is project for my own. I observed the other plum trees around many buildings in a certain area. the climate or the other effects are equal but the only difference is soil.
You should not take for granted what the only difference is. If you start with the assumption that the only difference is soil, then your conclusion will inevitably be that the soil is the cause.

LiLLiTH said:
Around the carpenter's shops there is "dust" iron. All of the trees were in our garden and we were giving equal water to them at the same time everyday. also I want to add one thing, I am a 9th grade high school student at turkey so I don't know many things and I am trying to learn and search.
Iron is definitely a growth factor in my experience with growing plants in aquaria. It is a common additive in the form of substrate pellets.

Thank you for your answers. I will continue searching about some scientific information.

WithOneT said:
Could it be that saw dust is an excellent fertilizer?
The major nutrients for plants are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. There are also http://www.agr.state.nc.us/cyber/kidswrld/plant/nutrient.htm#Micronutrients" . Soil pH affects iron availability to plants.

Sawdust is not high in plant nutrients, but is very high in carbon and will eventually break down to humus (good for building up soil organic content), but available soil nitrogen will be tied up by the organisms that break down the sawdust. So at least in the soil layer close to the sawdust, there will be a nitrogen deficiency while the sawdust is being decomposed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The effects of carpenter's shop on the soil

1. What is a carpenter's shop?

A carpenter's shop is a workplace where carpenters use various tools and techniques to build, repair, and install wooden structures and furniture.

2. How does a carpenter's shop affect the soil?

A carpenter's shop can affect the soil in several ways. Sawdust and other wood scraps can be discarded on the ground, altering the soil's composition. Chemicals and solvents used in wood treatment and preservation can also contaminate the soil. The constant movement of heavy machinery and equipment can compact the soil, making it less fertile for plant growth.

3. What are the potential environmental impacts of a carpenter's shop?

The potential environmental impacts of a carpenter's shop include soil contamination, air pollution from sawdust and other emissions, and noise pollution from machinery and equipment. These impacts can harm local ecosystems and human health if not properly managed.

4. Can a carpenter's shop have positive effects on the soil?

While a carpenter's shop can have negative effects on the soil, it can also have positive effects. For example, sawdust and wood scraps can be used as a mulch to improve soil structure and retain moisture. Sawdust can also be composted to create nutrient-rich soil amendments. Additionally, a well-managed carpenter's shop can contribute to a sustainable local economy and provide essential services to the community.

5. How can the negative effects of a carpenter's shop on the soil be mitigated?

To mitigate the negative effects of a carpenter's shop on the soil, proper waste management practices should be implemented. This includes properly disposing of wood scraps and using eco-friendly wood treatment methods. Regular maintenance and cleaning of machinery and equipment can also reduce air and noise pollution. Additionally, implementing sustainable practices, such as using reclaimed or locally sourced wood, can minimize the environmental impacts of a carpenter's shop.