The effect of a magnetic field on the growth rate of crystals

In summary, the speaker is researching the impact of magnetic fields on crystal growth rates for an upcoming lab. They are seeking resources to better understand the terminology and concepts involved and are also looking for a cheap and efficient magnet to use in the lab instead of using a wire looped around a nail connected to a battery. They also question the connection between magnetic fields and crystal growth rates and inquire about the best substance to use for the experiment.
warsame.farah
Hello I am currently researching on crystals and how their growth rate is affected by magnetic fields for my upcoming lab. Most of the information is based on labs but I quite don't understand what they speak of. So I was wondering if anyone here has any nice reading material on crystals and magnets so I can familiarize myself with the terminology and concepts. I also was wondering if electromagnets made of an iron nail looped with a wire and connected to a battery is an efficient magnet for the lab i am preparing to do. I read that it does overheat a lot and the magnets were not that strong. So i was wondering if anyone can also point me to a magnet I can create or buy that is cheap but efficient for use for in my lab. I'll appreciate your help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What makes you think crystal growth rates would be affected by magnetic fields? Which substance(s) are you thinking about?

And no, a wire looped around a nail connected to a battery makes for a demonstration of how an electromagnet works, but it's not a good electromagnet. Compared to that, you might as well get a strong permanent magnet. (e.g google for neodymium magnets)

Related to The effect of a magnetic field on the growth rate of crystals

1. What is the purpose of studying the effect of a magnetic field on the growth rate of crystals?

The purpose of this study is to understand how magnetic fields can influence the growth of crystals. By examining this phenomenon, we can gain insight into the fundamental processes involved in crystal growth and potentially develop new techniques for controlling and enhancing crystal growth.

2. How does a magnetic field affect the growth rate of crystals?

The exact mechanism by which a magnetic field affects crystal growth is still being studied. However, it is believed that the magnetic field can alter the movement of ions and molecules within the crystal, leading to changes in the rate and direction of crystal growth.

3. What types of crystals are most affected by a magnetic field?

Many different types of crystals have been found to be affected by magnetic fields, including metals, semiconductors, and even biological crystals. However, the degree of influence may vary depending on the specific properties of the crystal and the strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can a magnetic field be used to control the size and shape of crystals?

Yes, studies have shown that a magnetic field can indeed be used to manipulate the growth of crystals, resulting in changes in size and shape. This has potential applications in industries such as electronics, where precise control over crystal size and shape is crucial for device performance.

5. What are the potential practical applications of understanding the effect of a magnetic field on crystal growth?

Aside from potential advances in electronic devices, understanding the effect of magnetic fields on crystal growth could also have implications in fields such as materials science, biotechnology, and geology. By controlling crystal growth, we may be able to develop new materials with improved properties, create more efficient drug delivery systems, and even gain insight into the formation of crystals in natural environments.