The double integral of f over rectangle R and midpoint rule for double integrals

In summary, you can approximate the volume of a solid by integrating over a rectangle whose midpoint is at (x,y) and whose width and height are equal.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I wanted to 'challange' myself with solve a problem with midpoint and rule and the double integral f over the rectangle R.
This is a problem from midpoint.
"Use the Midpoint Rule m=n=2 to estimate the value of the integrab \(\displaystyle \int\int_r(x-3y^2)dA\), where \(\displaystyle R= {(x,y)| 0\leq x \leq 2, 1 \leq y \leq 2}.\)
Let's start with mid point. I Always start with draw itView attachment 738
and the center of those four subrectangles is \(\displaystyle x_1=\frac{1}{2}\), \(\displaystyle x_2= \frac{3}{2}\), \(\displaystyle y_1=\frac{5}{4}\) and \(\displaystyle y_2=\frac{7}{4}\) and the area of the sub rectangle is \(\displaystyle A= \frac{1}{2}\) to make it more clear we got \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}(f(\frac{1}{2},\frac{5}{4})+f(\frac{1}{2},\frac{7}{4})+f(\frac{3}{2},\frac{5}{4})+f(\frac{3}{2},\frac{7}{4})=-11.875\)
this question is aproxomite same as
\(\displaystyle \int_1^2\int_0^2 x-3y^2 dxdy\) and that will give result \(\displaystyle -13\)
Now for the most chalange one that I can't solve
I can only solve it with \(\displaystyle m=2\)\(\displaystyle n=1\)(we got two subs in x and 1 in y. cause then we get I start as usually draw it :) View attachment 739 then we got the area of sub square \(\displaystyle A=1\) so we got these point \(\displaystyle f(1,2)+f(2,2)\)
and we get result \(\displaystyle -9\). Now afterwards I type I notice we can't use the rule right? \(\displaystyle x-3y^2=z\) and for any of our point we will get \(\displaystyle z<0\) and then we can't use defination. but are my two above correct?Regards,

Attachments

• math4.png
    math4.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Math5.png
    Math5.png
    602 bytes · Views: 52
Physics news on Phys.org
Petrus said:
Hello MHB,
I wanted to 'challange' myself with solve a problem with midpoint and rule and the double integral f over the rectangle R.
This is a problem from midpoint.
"Use the Midpoint Rule m=n=2 to estimate the value of the integrab \(\displaystyle \int\int_r(x-3y^2)dA\), where \(\displaystyle R= {(x,y)| 0\leq x \leq 2, 1 \leq y \leq 2}.\)
Let's start with mid point. I Always start with draw itView attachment 738
and the center of those four subrectangles is \(\displaystyle x_1=\frac{1}{2}\), \(\displaystyle x_2= \frac{3}{2}\), \(\displaystyle y_1=\frac{5}{4}\) and \(\displaystyle y_2=\frac{7}{4}\) and the area of the sub rectangle is \(\displaystyle A= \frac{1}{2}\) to make it more clear we got \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}(f(\frac{1}{2},\frac{5}{4})+f(\frac{1}{2},\frac{7}{4})+f(\frac{3}{2},\frac{5}{4})+f(\frac{3}{2},\frac{7}{4})=-11.875\)
this question is aproxomite same as
\(\displaystyle \int_1^2\int_0^2 x-3y^2 dxdy\) and that will give result \(\displaystyle -13\)
Now for the most chalange one that I can't solve
I can only solve it with \(\displaystyle m=2\)\(\displaystyle n=1\)(we got two subs in x and 1 in y. cause then we get I start as usually draw it :) https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/739 then we got the area of sub square \(\displaystyle A=1\) so we got these point \(\displaystyle f(1,2)+f(2,2)\)
and we get result \(\displaystyle -9\). Now afterwards I type I notice we can't use the rule right? \(\displaystyle x-3y^2=z\) and for any of our point we will get \(\displaystyle z<0\) and then we can't use defination. but are my two above correct?Regards,

Hi Petrus, :)

You have used the midpoint rule incorrectly in the second part where you approximate the integral using two rectangles. Note that you should select points which are midpoints of the two rectangles. Then the integral approximates to,

\[\iint_R(x-3y^2)\,dA\approx f\left(\frac{1}{2},\,\frac{3}{2}\right)+f\left( \frac{3}{2}\,,\frac{3}{2}\right)\]

I don't exactly understand what you meant by,

Now afterwards I type I notice we can't use the rule right? \(\displaystyle x-3y^2=z\) and for any of our point we will get \(\displaystyle z<0\) and then we can't use defination.

The integrand can take negative or positive values in the region which it's integrated. There is no problem with that. You might want to check how double integrals are formulated.

Hello,
Yes I understand that. It's because it is continuous function if I got it right, Indeed it says their is for some discontiuos functions but our teacher told us to ignore that cause we will read about it later.

I want to citat from my book
"If \(\displaystyle f(x,y) \geq 0\), then the volume V of the solid that lies above the rectangle R and below the surface \(\displaystyle z=f(x,y)\) is
\(\displaystyle V=\int\int_R f(x,y) dA\)"

Related to The double integral of f over rectangle R and midpoint rule for double integrals

1. What is the definition of a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical operation that calculates the total area under a surface or volume between two variables, by dividing the surface into small rectangles and summing up their individual areas.

2. How is the double integral over a rectangle calculated?

The double integral over a rectangle is calculated by first dividing the rectangle into smaller sub-rectangles, then approximating the area of each sub-rectangle using the midpoint rule, and finally summing up all the approximated areas to get an overall estimate of the double integral over the original rectangle.

3. What is the midpoint rule for double integrals?

The midpoint rule for double integrals is a method for approximating the value of a double integral by using the midpoint of each sub-rectangle as the approximation for the entire sub-rectangle's area. This is done by multiplying the function value at the midpoint by the width and height of the sub-rectangle.

4. What is the purpose of using the midpoint rule in double integrals?

The purpose of using the midpoint rule in double integrals is to simplify the calculation process and provide a close approximation of the true value of the integral. It is particularly useful when the function being integrated is difficult to evaluate or has no closed form solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using the midpoint rule for double integrals?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the midpoint rule for double integrals. The rule may not provide an accurate estimate if the function being integrated is not continuous or has sharp changes in its values. In such cases, other methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule may be more appropriate.