The difficulty levels of the sciences

In summary, the group discusses which area of science is the hardest to grasp and the conversation centers around the study of diamonds and particle physics, with the latter being mentioned as a particularly challenging field due to its complexity and unsolved problems. The group also mentions their personal backgrounds and interests in these areas.
mmprotest
Hey guys,

So I want to simply pose a question. Conceptually, which is the hardest area of science to grasp?

This can also be a sub category of a discipline...or anything like that.

I'm just curious because I am a PhD student in Math, but my area is actually Mathematical Physics. So I have experience in both math and physics. I've always been interested in the perceived difficulty of a branch of science, versus its actual difficulty so I'd be interested in your opinions.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the study of diamonds is the hardest.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I think the study of diamonds is the hardest.

Touche.

Umm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_physics" ... IMHO of course...

See list of items under: HE Physics/Particle Physics in the wiki link

Rhody...

P.S. Kaaa-zing, nice one Jimmy...

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Umm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_physics" ... IMHO of course...

See list of items under: HE Physics/Particle Physics in the wiki link

Rhody...

P.S. Kaaa-zing, nice one Jimmy...

Ya, I agree in the sense that it is a massive area of physics...and one that is generally not well understood (given all the contradictions between the different models).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The difficulty levels of the sciences

1. What are the different difficulty levels of the sciences?

The sciences can be broadly classified into three difficulty levels: basic, intermediate, and advanced. Each level builds upon the knowledge and skills acquired in the previous level and requires a higher level of understanding and application.

2. What determines the difficulty level of a science?

The difficulty level of a science is determined by the complexity of its concepts, theories, and applications. It also depends on the amount of prior knowledge and skills required to understand and apply the concepts. The higher the level of abstraction and complexity, the more difficult the science is considered to be.

3. How do the difficulty levels of sciences compare to each other?

The difficulty levels of sciences are not absolute and can vary depending on individual strengths and weaknesses. However, in general, basic sciences are considered easier than intermediate sciences, and intermediate sciences are considered easier than advanced sciences. This is because advanced sciences often require a deeper understanding and application of complex concepts and theories.

4. Can the difficulty level of a science change?

Yes, the difficulty level of a science can change over time. As new research and discoveries are made, the complexity and level of abstraction of a science may increase. Additionally, with advancements in technology and teaching methods, the difficulty level of a science may become more accessible to students.

5. How can one determine which difficulty level of science is right for them?

Choosing the right difficulty level of science depends on individual interests, strengths, and goals. It is important to have a strong foundation in basic sciences before moving on to intermediate or advanced sciences. Consulting with a teacher or advisor can also help in determining the appropriate difficulty level based on one's academic background and career aspirations.