The definition of the density operator in Pathria

In summary, the density operator defined on page 114 of Pathria's statistical mechanics book refers to the average value of a quantity over an ensemble of isolated systems.
silverwhale
Hello Everybody,

I am working through Pathria's statistical mechanics book; on page 114 I found the following definition for the density operator:
[tex] \rho_{mn}= \frac{1}{N} \sum_{k=1}^{N}\left \{ a(t)^{k}_m a(t)^{k*}_n \right \}, [/tex]
where N is the number of systems in the ensemble and the a(t)'s are expansion coefficents.
Now my question is: what does this definition mean? Especially the term [tex] a(t)^{k}_m a(t)^{k*}_n. [/tex] I do not get it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you wrote above refers to the definition of density matrix for a finite ensemble of isolated systems (beware, not for a subsystem in interaction with environment). It works as follows.

Imagine that there is an ensemble of N copies of the system. Denote the wave function describing the k-th system by

[tex]
\psi^{k}(\mathbf r).
[/tex]

(Different copies have different wave functions).

It is assumed that this function can be expressed as a discrete linear combination of some basis functions [itex]\Phi_m[/itex], which are the same for all k:

[tex]
\psi^{k}(\mathbf r) = \sum_k a_m^k \Phi_m(\mathbf r).
[/tex]

The numbers [itex]a^k[/itex] are complex expansion coefficients.

(Such expansion is possible if the set of functions [itex]\Phi_m[/itex] is complete, like for Hamiltonian eigenfunctions of harmonic oscillator. In case of hydrogen eigenfunctions, things are more complicated, due to continuous spectrum of Hamiltonian).

The density matrix is introduced usually as a quantity [itex]\rho_{mn}[/itex] that appears in the calculation of average value of some quantity [itex]f[/itex], say energy, over the ensemble.

The average over the ensemble is the weighted sum

[tex]

\langle \langle f \rangle \rangle = \sum_k p_k \langle f \rangle^k,

[/tex]

where [itex]p_k = 1/N[/itex] is the probability that the system is in state described by k-th wave function.

The expression

[tex]

\langle f \rangle^k
[/tex]

used above is the average of [itex]f[/itex] in a state described by [itex]\psi^k[/itex] function and can be expressed as

[tex]
\langle \psi^k | \hat f | \psi^k \rangle = \sum_{m,n} a_m^{k} a_n^{k*} f_{nm}.
[/tex]

where [itex]f_{nm} = \langle \Phi_n|\hat f|\Phi_m\rangle[/itex].

Then, the average over the ensemble is

[tex]

\langle \langle f \rangle\rangle = \sum_k \frac{1}{N} \sum_{m,n} a_m^{k} a_n^{k*} f_{nm}.
[/tex]

This can be rewritten as

[tex]

\sum_m \left( \rho_{mn}f_{nm} \right)

[/tex]

where the quantity

[tex]
\rho_{mn} = \sum_k \frac{1}{N} a_m^{k} a_n^{k*}
[/tex]

was named the density matrix.

Perfect.

Many many thanks!
If you were living in Hamburg, Germany, I would give you a bag full of cookies!
I am really thankful! :)

Glad to be of help.

Related to The definition of the density operator in Pathria

1. What is the density operator in Pathria?

The density operator in Pathria is a mathematical representation of a statistical ensemble of quantum mechanical systems. It is used to describe the probability of finding a system in a particular state, as well as the average values of observables in that state.

2. How is the density operator defined in Pathria?

The density operator in Pathria is defined as a weighted sum of projection operators, where the weights are determined by the probabilities of each state in the ensemble. This can be written as ρ = ∑ w_i |ψ_i><ψ_i|, where ρ is the density operator, w_i is the weight of state ψ_i, and |ψ_i> is the projection operator for state ψ_i.

3. What is the significance of the density operator in Pathria?

The density operator plays a crucial role in quantum statistical mechanics, as it allows for the calculation of thermodynamic properties of a system. It also provides a way to connect the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics with the more deterministic nature of classical mechanics.

4. How is the density operator related to the density matrix?

The density operator and the density matrix are essentially the same concept, with slight differences in notation and usage. The density matrix is typically used in quantum mechanics, while the density operator is used in quantum statistical mechanics. They both represent the same information about a quantum system.

5. Can the density operator be used for both pure and mixed states?

Yes, the density operator can be used to describe both pure and mixed states. For pure states, the density operator reduces to a projection operator onto the state vector. For mixed states, it is a weighted sum of projection operators onto the various pure states in the ensemble.