The coefficient of friction at a specific angle.

In summary, the coefficient of friction can be expressed as μ = tanθs, where θs is the critical angle at which the block just starts to slide on an inclined plane with an adjustable angle. This is based on the assumption that the acceleration is equal to 0 as the block slides.
texan14

Homework Statement

A block of mass 'm' is placed on an inclined plane which has an adjustable angle with the horizontal. The angle is increased slowly from zero until the block just starts to slide. This angle is called the critical angle, θs.

Express the coefficient of friction in terms of θs.

Homework Equations

F = m*a
friction = μ*(normal force, N)
μ = coefficient of friction

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx = m*ax
m*ax = m*g*sinθs - μN
m*ay = m*g*cosθs - N

After I set both equations equal to the normal force, N, I got:

μ = (m*g*sins-m*ax) / (m*g*cosθs-m*ay)

If I am allowed to set the acceleration equal to zero, I would get μ = tanθs, which is the correct answer. But since the block "just starts to slide" at θs, I don't think the acceleration would equal zero... Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is assumed that acceleration is equal to 0 as the block just starts to slide. Hence the forces in play are equal, otherwise the friction force would be less than ma and the equation would become an inequality.

Related to The coefficient of friction at a specific angle.

What is the coefficient of friction at a specific angle?

The coefficient of friction at a specific angle is a measure of the amount of friction or resistance between two surfaces when one surface is placed at a specific angle to the other. It is represented by the symbol μ.

How is the coefficient of friction at a specific angle determined?

The coefficient of friction at a specific angle is determined through experiments and calculations. The experiment involves measuring the force required to move an object across a surface at a specific angle, and then using that data to calculate the coefficient of friction.

What factors can affect the coefficient of friction at a specific angle?

The coefficient of friction at a specific angle can be affected by several factors, including the nature and texture of the two surfaces in contact, the amount of force applied, and the angle at which the surfaces are in contact.

Why is the coefficient of friction at a specific angle important?

The coefficient of friction at a specific angle is important because it helps determine the amount of force needed to move an object across a surface at a specific angle. This information is crucial in many practical applications, such as designing machinery, calculating the performance of vehicles, and predicting the behavior of objects on an incline.

How can the coefficient of friction at a specific angle be reduced?

The coefficient of friction at a specific angle can be reduced by altering the surface characteristics of the two objects in contact, such as using lubricants or changing the texture of the surfaces. Additionally, reducing the angle of contact between the two surfaces can also decrease the coefficient of friction.