The Best Spot to Set Up a Colony on Mars

In summary, the conversation discusses the ideal location for setting up a colony on Mars. The Hellas Basin is considered due to its favorable atmospheric pressure and potential for hosting liquid water. However, its location halfway between the Martian equator and south pole may make it too cold. The idea of filling the basin with SF6 gas to create a pressure equivalent to Earth's oxygen is brought up, but it is deemed not feasible due to mixing with the atmosphere and the large amount of gas needed. The idea of starting a thread about a Moon base is also mentioned.
lifeonmercury
Where exactly on Mars is the best spot to set up camp for a colony? I've been reading about the Hellas Basin, which seems favorable regarding asmospheric pressure and ability to host liquid water (0 to 50 degrees F). However, it's located halfway between the Martian equator and the south pole, which would likely make it colder than a spot right on the equator.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not sure if warmth pressure and liquid water would be priorities for location. With enough power, those can easily be created in necessary amounts.

I'd look for easy access to rare minerals necessary for whatever technology is in use.

lifeonmercury said:
Where exactly on Mars is the best spot to set up camp for a colony? I've been reading about the Hellas Basin, which seems favorable regarding asmospheric pressure and ability to host liquid water (0 to 50 degrees F). However, it's located halfway between the Martian equator and the south pole, which would likely make it colder than a spot right on the equator.
If we filled Hellas Basin with SF6 Gas (Sulphur Hexaflouride), because of it's high density would we be able to do without a pressure suit at the lowest point?

DaveC426913 said:
Not sure if warmth pressure and liquid water would be priorities for location. With enough power, those can easily be created in necessary amounts.

I'd look for easy access to rare minerals necessary for whatever technology is in use.

That makes sense. Have you heard of any specific proposed locations? I couldn't find anything about that on the Mars One website.

Al_ said:
If we filled Hellas Basin with SF6 Gas (Sulphur Hexaflouride), because of it's high density would we be able to do without a pressure suit at the lowest point?
At 146 g/mol instead of 44 (CO2), it would have a scale height of ~3.3 km. To get the pressure to 0.2 bar (to have a pressure equivalent to the oxygen partial pressure on Earth) you would have to be ~17 km below zero. No way, the Hellas basin is just 7 km deep.

To make it worse, the SF6 would mix with the remaining atmosphere over time. Oh, and the 1013 tons of SF6 would be challenging as well.

Likes jim mcnamara
How many Mars colony threads do we need here?

Vanadium 50 said:
Lets have some Moon colony threads! I'll start one.

Vanadium 50 said:

I didn't want to be accused once again of hijacking another thread.

Al_ said:
Lets have some Moon colony threads! I'll start one.

Did you make it yet?

Let's keep the posts in this thread on-topic; namely, on the Hellas Basin of Mars.

Related to The Best Spot to Set Up a Colony on Mars

1. What factors determine the best spot to set up a colony on Mars?

The best spot to set up a colony on Mars must have a combination of factors such as access to resources, favorable climate, and potential for future expansion. It should also be relatively flat and have a stable surface for construction.

2. Is there water on Mars and how does it impact the choice of a colony location?

Yes, there is evidence of water on Mars in the form of ice and water vapor. Water is essential for human survival, so it is ideal to choose a location near a water source, such as a frozen water deposit or underground aquifer.

3. What type of terrain is best for a Mars colony?

Flat, smooth terrain with a solid surface is ideal for constructing a Mars colony. This type of terrain is easier to build on and provides stability for structures. It is also important to avoid areas with steep slopes and loose soil, as they can be hazardous to the colony's infrastructure.

4. How does the location's proximity to the equator affect the choice of a colony spot?

The closer a colony is to the equator, the more solar energy it will receive. This is crucial for powering the colony's energy systems and reducing reliance on non-renewable resources. However, areas near the equator may also experience more extreme temperatures and high levels of radiation, so it is important to find a balance.

5. Are there any potential risks or challenges associated with the chosen spot for a Mars colony?

Yes, there are several potential risks and challenges that must be considered when choosing a spot for a Mars colony. These include extreme temperatures, high levels of radiation, potential volcanic activity, and dust storms. It is important to thoroughly assess these risks and develop strategies to mitigate them before settling on a final location.