The best edition of Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra?

In summary, the conversation discusses purchasing A First Course in Abstract Algebra by Fraleigh and compares the 6th and 7th editions. The 7th edition includes a section on homology groups, while the 6th does not. However, it is mentioned that the older editions are often better. It is also noted that homology groups are typically covered in an algebraic topology course rather than an undergraduate algebra course. The speaker suggests considering purchasing a cheaper, older edition of the textbook.
Truecrimson
I'm going to buy A First Course in Abstract Algebra by Fraleigh. I've looked at 6th and 7th ed. 6th doesn't have a section on homology groups, but 7th does. From what I found from other threads here, 4th also has homology groups, and 3rd is at least good on group actions. (I haven't got to group actions yet.)

It is well known for some textbooks that the older editions are better. What about Fraleigh?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homology is usually covered in the first algebraic topology course, not in undergrad algebra, so I would not worry if a book covers homology or not.

I doubt there are great difference between the 6th and 7th editions, you could even get the 3rd or 4th or 5th (but not 2nd or 1st), whichever you find the cheapest.

Thank you.

Related to The best edition of Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra?

1. What makes Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra a good textbook for learning abstract algebra?

Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra is widely considered a good textbook for several reasons. Firstly, it covers all the essential topics in abstract algebra in a clear and organized manner. Additionally, it includes numerous examples and exercises to reinforce the material and help with understanding. Lastly, it has been used for many years and has been revised and improved upon, making it a reliable and well-respected source for learning abstract algebra.

2. Is there a specific edition of Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra that is considered the best?

While there is no universal consensus on the best edition of Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra, the 7th edition is often praised for its comprehensive coverage, clear explanations, and updated content. However, the 3rd and 4th editions are also popular among students and professors.

3. Does Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra include real-world applications of abstract algebra?

Yes, Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra does include real-world applications of abstract algebra. Throughout the textbook, there are examples and exercises that demonstrate how abstract algebra concepts can be applied to various fields, such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics.

4. Is Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra suitable for self-study?

Yes, Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra can be used for self-study. The textbook is written in a clear and accessible language, with plenty of examples and exercises for self-assessment. However, it may be helpful to supplement the textbook with online resources or a study group for a more comprehensive understanding.

5. Are there any major differences between the various editions of Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra?

While the core content of Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra remains the same in all editions, there are some differences between the editions. The most significant differences are in the organization and presentation of the material, as well as the inclusion of new topics and exercises in the newer editions. However, the fundamental concepts and principles remain consistent across all editions.