The average temperature in the box

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a temperature function and integration. The person is unsure of where they went wrong and asks for help. It is mentioned that a similar problem in the textbook divided by 4, but the person does not understand why. The concept of finding the average value of a quantity over a region is brought up, and it is clarified that the region in the example is a box. The volume of the box is also discussed, with the correct value being log(2)*log(4)*log(8) instead of 4. The person thanks the expert for their help.
whynot314

Homework Statement

Im not really sure were I am going wrong in the problem there was a similar one in the textbook examples with a different temperature function and they just divided by 4. I really don' t know how my integration is wrong either please help the function if you can't read it is. T(x,y,z)= 128e[itex]^{-x-y-z}[/itex]

[PLAIN]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/nebula-314/IMAG0108_zps19442d3b.jpg[/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integration is fine, but you seem not to have understood why the other case divided by 4 at the end. The average value of some quantity f(x,y,z) over a region V is ∫f.dv/∫dv, right?

To be honest, I did not know. The region in the example was also a box.

whynot314 said:
To be honest, I did not know. The region in the example was also a box.

The volume of the box in this case is log(2)*log(4)*log(8), yes? Not 4.

yes, thank you.

Related to The average temperature in the box

What is the average temperature in the box?

The average temperature in the box is the sum of all temperatures divided by the total number of temperatures inside the box.

Why is it important to know the average temperature in the box?

Knowing the average temperature in the box can help us determine if the contents of the box are being stored at the appropriate temperature. It can also give us insights into any potential temperature fluctuations that may affect the contents of the box.

How is the average temperature in the box calculated?

The average temperature in the box is calculated by adding up all the temperatures inside the box and dividing it by the total number of temperatures. This gives us the mean or average temperature.

What factors can affect the average temperature in the box?

The average temperature in the box can be affected by various factors such as the external temperature, insulation of the box, duration of time the box has been closed, and the type of material the box is made of.

Is the average temperature in the box a reliable measurement?

The average temperature in the box can be a reliable measurement if the temperatures inside the box are consistently monitored and recorded. However, other factors like temperature fluctuations and variations in temperature distribution within the box can affect its reliability.