The average EMF in a coil rotating in a magnetic field

In summary: What confuses me is why this form of equation gives correct answer when the coil starts its motion from the position in which it is perpendicular to the field lines, but it doesn't work when the coil starts its motion from the parallel position??E=Emaxsinθwhere θ is the angle between normal of the plane and the magnetic field.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

DnC5Y.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution for Q1:
BgHbd.jpg

Solution for Q2:
sxOMU.jpg

Solution for Q3:
UhqLi.jpg

Are they correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have taken the peak emf to be 0.04V while the question says it is 0.4V.

Also, how did you calculate the average of emf for 1/4 revolution?

Solution for Q2 looks fine, but you should take the peak emf to be 0.4V.

For Q3: The frequency of emf is 1Hz. After 3 seconds, how many degrees would elapse? What is the emf at the beginning of this 3 second interval?

cnh1995 said:
Ah, yes, This electronic edition of this exam is different from the one I have, luckily, the peak of the voltage is the only difference, I have just noticed.
cnh1995 said:
As this:
The change in the flux dΦ = BA - 0 (BA is the maximum flux linkage when the coil is perpendicular to the field and 0 is flux linkage when the coil is parallel to the field lines) So the change would be (BA - 0).
The change in time dt = T/4 (Where T is period), and since T=1/f -----> dt = 1/4f
The average emf = -N dΦ/dt = -NBA* 4f
cnh1995 said:
For Q3: The frequency of emf is 1Hz. After 3 seconds, how many degrees would elapse? What is the emf at the beginning of this 3 second interval?
The coil starts its motion from the position in which it is parallel to the field lines, I think after 3 seconds it will come back to its original position, where it has a maximum induced emf. But I can't prove this mathematically.

Asmaa Mohammad said:
The coil starts its motion from the position in which it is parallel to the field lines, I think after 3 seconds it will come back to its original position, where it has a maximum induced emf. But I can't prove this mathematically.
Right.
You know the initial emf, which is maximum.
So what is the general equation of emf in terms of maximum emf and θ, where θ is the angle between normal of the plane and the magnetic field?
Asmaa Mohammad said:
The change in the flux dΦ = BA - 0 (BA is the maximum flux linkage when the coil is perpendicular to the field and 0 is flux linkage when the coil is parallel to the field lines) So the change would be (BA - 0).
The change in time dt = T/4 (Where T is period), and since T=1/f -----> dt = 1/4f
The average emf = -N dΦ/dt = -NBA* 4f
Right.

cnh1995 said:
So what is the general equation of emf in terms of maximum emf and θ, where θ is the angle between normal of the plane and the magnetic field?
It is:
emf = -NBAω sinθ = (emf)max*sinθ

But if you mean that I should use the equation above, then when should I use this one:
emf = (emf)max sinθ
θ = 2π*f* t ----> Where π =180, f is frequency and t is the time.

Asmaa Mohammad said:
It is:
emf = -NBAω sinθ = (emf)max*sinθ
Yes. Minus sign is optional.
Asmaa Mohammad said:
emf = (emf)max sinθ
Isn't it same as above?

cnh1995 said:
Isn't it same as above?
I meant it will be like this:
emf = (emf)max*sin (2πft).
t is the time, f is frequency, and π here is 180 not 3.14.

But I have difficulty in understanding which time I should use here, In my textbook when it uses this equation the coil starts its motion from the position in which it is perpendicular to the field lines, for example:
" a coil starts its motion from the position it is perpendicular to the field lines, the maximum induced emf in it, for instance, is 100V, and its frequency, for instance, is 50 Hz. Calculate the instantaneous emf after 1/200 seconds."

In problems like this one, my book uses the equation: emf = (emf)max*sin (2π*f*t) -----> where t is 1/200 seconds.

Have you understood my point of view??

So you are confused between when to take pi=180 and pi=3.14?

cnh1995 said:
So you are confused between when to take pi=180 and pi=3.14?
No, in this equation we should use pi = 180, and I have already used this equation in solution for Q3, look again!
θ = 2πft = 2*180* 1 * 3 = 1080
sin 1080 = 0
Then, emf = (emf)max* sin1080 = 0.4* 0 = 0
So, we will end up with zero induced emf and that's what will not actually happen ( I think that we both agree that after 3 seconds the induced emf will be maximum).

What confuses me is why this form of equation gives correct answer when the coil starts its motion from the position in which it is perpendicular to the field lines, but it doesn't work when the coil starts its motion from the parallel position??

E=Emaxsinθ
where θ is the angle between normal of the plane and the magnetic field.
At t=0, θ=90°. Therefore θ=90°-ωt and hence, θ=90°-2πft.
Now use this θ in the above emf equation ans you'll see that E=Emaxsin(90°-2πft)=Emaxcos(2πft).

If you want to use θ=ωt=2πft, you need to take θ as the angle between plane of the coil and the magnetic field. The emf equation will now become,
E=Emaxcos(2πft).

You'll end up with the same equation no matter which angle you choose.

cnh1995 said:
At t=0, θ=90°. Therefore θ=90°-ωt and hence, θ=90°-2πft.
So, when time passes, (θ = 90 -ωt) in the case we have the problem here,
but for the case in the problem mentioned in #7, it will be like this:
at t=0, θ=0. Therefore θ = 2πft.
right?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
a coil starts its motion from the position it is perpendicular to the field lines, the maximum induced emf in it
This is not correct in your #7. The emf in this case will ve zero.

The expression for θ does not depend on the starting position of the coil. It depends on what you call as θ: the angle between plane of the coil and magnetic field or the angle between normal to the plane of the coil and the magnetic field.

Asmaa Mohammad said:
So, when time passes, (θ = 90 -ωt) in the case we have the problem here,
but for the case in the problem mentioned in #7, it will be like this:
at t=0, θ=0.
You can use θ=90-ωt in #7 as well. At t=0, θ=90°, which is correct since θ is the angle between normal and the magnetic field, which is 90° when the coil is parallel to the field.

Likes Asmaa Mohammad
cnh1995 said:

cnh1995 said:

why we don'T SUBSTITUE the negative sign in the solution ??

Related to The average EMF in a coil rotating in a magnetic field

What is EMF and how is it related to a coil rotating in a magnetic field?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the voltage induced in a conductor when it moves through a magnetic field. In the case of a coil rotating in a magnetic field, the changing magnetic field causes an EMF to be induced in the coil.

How is the average EMF in a coil rotating in a magnetic field calculated?

The average EMF in a coil rotating in a magnetic field is calculated by dividing the total change in magnetic flux by the time taken for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation E = ΔΦ/Δt, where E is the average EMF, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the time taken.

What factors can affect the average EMF in a coil rotating in a magnetic field?

The average EMF in a coil rotating in a magnetic field can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, the number of turns in the coil, and the size and shape of the coil. Additionally, the type of material used for the coil and the presence of any external resistance can also impact the average EMF.

How does the direction of rotation of the coil affect the average EMF?

The direction of rotation of the coil does not affect the average EMF in a coil rotating in a magnetic field. This is because the induced voltage is determined by the rate of change of the magnetic field, not the direction of rotation. However, the direction of rotation can affect the polarity of the induced voltage.

What is the significance of the average EMF in a coil rotating in a magnetic field?

The average EMF in a coil rotating in a magnetic field is important in applications such as generators, where it is used to generate electricity. It is also a crucial concept in understanding the principles of electromagnetic induction, which has numerous practical applications in industries such as power generation, transportation, and communication.