The associated Laguerre equation.

• Thread starter raul_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laguerre
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the radial part of the hydrogen wave function and the use of Laguerre functions in the equation. The speaker is having trouble showing a specific part of the equation and has attempted to solve it using various parameters and derivatives. They are open to someone else analyzing their work and providing insight.
raul_l

Homework Statement

Hello, I need to show that the radial part of the hydrogen wave function has the form
[tex] \rho^{l+1} e^{-\rho} L_{n-l-1}^{2l+1} (2\rho) [/tex]

More specifically, I'm having trouble showing the [tex] L_{n-l-1}^{2l+1} (2\rho) [/tex] part because what I get is [tex] L_{n+1}^{2l+1} (2\rho) [/tex]. The derivation is relatively easy and it makes me furious that I'm unable to find the mistake.

Homework Equations

[tex] L_{\alpha} (x) = e^x \frac{d^{\alpha}}{dx^{\alpha}} (e^{-x}x^\alpha) [/tex]

[tex] L_{\alpha}^\beta (x) = \frac{d^{\beta}}{dx^{\beta}} L_{\alpha} (x) = \frac{d^{\beta}}{dx^{\beta}} (e^x \frac{d^{\alpha}}{dx^{\alpha}} (e^{-x}x^\alpha)) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This equation should be correct:
[tex] \rho \frac{d^2}{d \rho^2} f(\rho) + 2(l+1-\rho) \frac{d}{d \rho} f(\rho) + (2n-2(l+1)) f(\rho) = 0 [/tex]

Next I introduce the following parameters
[tex] \alpha = n+1 [/tex]

[tex] \beta = 2l+1 [/tex]

Then the last equation becomes
[tex] (2\rho) \frac{d^2}{d (2\rho)^2} f(2\rho) + (\beta+1-(2\rho)) \frac{d}{d (2\rho)} f(2\rho) + (\alpha-\beta) f(2\rho) = 0 [/tex]

First I deal with the case [tex] \beta=0 [/tex]

[tex] (2\rho) \frac{d^2}{d (2\rho)^2} f(2\rho) + (1-(2\rho)) \frac{d}{d (2\rho)} f(2\rho) + \alpha f(2\rho) = 0 [/tex]

I can show that the solution to this is [tex] f(2\rho) = L_\alpha (2\rho) [/tex]

Next I take the [tex] \beta [/tex]'th derivative of the last equation and get

[tex] (2\rho) \frac{d^\beta}{d (2\rho)^\beta} (\frac{d^2}{d (2\rho)^2} L_\alpha (2\rho)) + (\beta + 1-(2\rho)) \frac{d^\beta}{d (2\rho)^\beta} \frac{d}{d (2\rho)} L_\alpha (2\rho) + (\alpha - \beta) \frac{d^\beta}{d (2\rho)^\beta} L_\alpha (2\rho) = 0 [/tex]

Now by writing
[tex] f(2\rho) \equiv \frac{d^\beta}{d (2\rho)^\beta} L_\alpha (2\rho)) \equiv L_\alpha^\beta (2\rho) [/tex]
I arrive at
[tex] (2\rho) \frac{d^2}{d (2\rho)^2} f(2\rho) + (\beta+1-(2\rho)) \frac{d}{d (2\rho)} f(2\rho) + (\alpha-\beta) f(2\rho) = 0 [/tex]

which clearly has the solution [tex] L_\alpha^\beta (2\rho) = L_{n+1}^{2l+1} (2\rho) [/tex]

If you need me to show more thoroughly some of the steps then I can do this. I just didn't want to bother with too many details.

Of course, there's always the chance that I've made a typo somewhere, because the derivations of special functions are quite cumbersome. So far, I've been unable to find anything.

If anyone could take 2 minutes to analyze this I'd really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I only need to know what kind of Laguerre functions are used with the hydrogen atom. Sometimes they are defined differently.

Related to The associated Laguerre equation.

What is the associated Laguerre equation?

The associated Laguerre equation is a special type of differential equation that arises in the study of quantum mechanics and other areas of physics. It describes the behavior of a particle in a central potential, such as an electron orbiting around a nucleus.

What are the solutions to the associated Laguerre equation?

The solutions to the associated Laguerre equation are known as Laguerre polynomials. These are a family of polynomials that are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other with respect to a certain weight function. They have many important applications in mathematics and physics.

What is the physical significance of the associated Laguerre equation?

The physical significance of the associated Laguerre equation is that it describes the energy levels and wave functions of a quantum mechanical system with a central potential. This is important for understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other microscopic particles.

How is the associated Laguerre equation solved?

The associated Laguerre equation can be solved using a variety of techniques, including series solutions, numerical methods, and special functions such as confluent hypergeometric functions. The exact method used will depend on the specific form of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

What are some real-world applications of the associated Laguerre equation?

The associated Laguerre equation has many applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. Some examples include the calculation of atomic and molecular energy levels, the behavior of particles in a central potential, and the analysis of systems with spherical symmetry. It also has applications in other fields, such as signal processing and image compression.