Textbook talks about Planck time

In summary, Planck time is defined as the amount of time it would take for a photon to travel a distance equal to the Planck length. It is related to gravity, Planck's constant, and the speed of light. The laws of physics that can be applied to Planck time include the gravitational law, law of refraction, and theory of relativity.
Kudo Shinichi
A section in my textbook talks about Planck time, but I still don't quite get what does it mean after I finished reading it. I am also wondering whcih laws of physics can be applied to the Planck time.
Some info that might be helpful for answering this question:
tp=√(Gh/c^5)
where G is the gravitational constant, h is Planck's constant, and c is speed of light.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you need to understand about Planck time? It's just defined as the amount of time a photon would take to cover a distance equivalent to the Planck length.

See Wikipedia for details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_time

Defennder said:
What do you need to understand about Planck time? It's just defined as the amount of time a photon would take to cover a distance equivalent to the Planck length.

I am wondering which physics' law can be applied on the Planck time. Does gravitational law and law of refraction applied to the Planck time since Planck time is related to gravity as well as photon

Defennder said:

I am wondering which physics' law can be applied on the Planck time. Does gravitational law,law of refraction and theory of relativity applied to the Planck time since Planck time is related to gravity photon
as well as speed of light

Related to Textbook talks about Planck time

1. What is Planck time and why is it important?

Planck time is the smallest unit of time in the fabric of spacetime, named after the physicist Max Planck. It is important because it is the scale at which quantum gravity effects become significant and our current laws of physics break down.

2. How long is Planck time?

Planck time is approximately 5.4 x 10^-44 seconds. To put that into perspective, it is much shorter than the time it takes for light to travel across a single proton.

3. Can we measure or observe Planck time?

No, Planck time is currently beyond our technological capabilities to measure or observe. It is also debated whether it is a meaningful concept or simply a mathematical artifact.

4. What is the significance of Planck time in the study of the origin of the universe?

According to the Big Bang theory, the universe began as a singularity – a point of infinite density and temperature – and expanded from there. Planck time is used to estimate the age of the universe from this singularity, which is believed to be around 13.8 billion years.

5. Are there other "Planck" units besides Planck time?

Yes, there are other Planck units such as Planck length, Planck mass, and Planck temperature. These units are all derived from the fundamental constants of nature and are used in theories of quantum gravity to understand the smallest scales of the universe.