Textbook reviews online somewhere?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of finding reviews for college textbooks, specifically in the field of physics. The original question was about an online site for reviews, and after some suggestions, the conversation shifted to recommendations for specific textbooks. The discussion also mentions the difficulty in finding reviews for specialized topics and the possibility of using forums or websites for this purpose. Overall, it is suggested that Amazon is the best place to find reviews for textbooks.
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is there some kind of online site where I can find reviews about college textbooks (preferably physics related) out there? I am considering to have my own collection of books in my field of research but I don't want to spend my savings on something I will find myself disappointed later.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
Thanks, but I know this since long time. However sometimes the number of reviews for a given book is too small and sometimes no review at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a particular place on school textbooks, unless your say an english major, then those books have been discussed by a lot of people. The best thing to do, is ask on this forum or look at university required books. There should be a list of reading material for a particular major.

Say you want to learn linear algebra (second course), then most schools will list Friedberg, Kenneth, or Axler.

I would recommended Feynmans Lectures on Physics, Kolenkow and Kleppner, and Purcell as a must have library. Not a physics major, but I own KK and Feynman, there really good stuff.

Have you tried the forum search feature at the top right of this page? If you have a specific book in mind, enter the author's name and see if it's been discussed here before. If you enter something like "thermodynamics", you'll get many threads about thermodynamics books.

For mathematics there are also MAA Reviews.

MidgetDwarf said:
I would recommended Feynmans Lectures on Physics, Kolenkow and Kleppner, and Purcell as a must have library.
Thanks for the recommendation, but I am planing to have a collection of textbooks in my field of interest only. I currently have no intention in collecting basic physics textbooks. Besides I think there is a free online version of Feynman's lecture series.
jtbell said:
Have you tried the forum search feature at the top right of this page? If you have a specific book in mind, enter the author's name and see if it's been discussed here before. If you enter something like "thermodynamics", you'll get many threads about thermodynamics books.
I'm afraid most of these books will be of specialized topics that it's difficult to find a member here who has had the interest on one of these books as well. I also have searched in this forum but return no result.
After some search I ended up in this link http://textbooks-online-review.toptenreviews.com/. It appears that Amazon.com is the best place to find a book's review.

Kolenkow and Purcell are not basics by any means.

Related to Textbook reviews online somewhere?

1. What are textbook reviews online?

Textbook reviews online are evaluations or critiques of textbooks that can be found on the internet. These reviews are usually written by students, teachers, or other experts in the field and provide valuable insights into the content, quality, and effectiveness of a specific textbook.

2. Where can I find textbook reviews online?

Textbook reviews can be found on various websites such as Amazon, Goodreads, and Barnes & Noble. Many universities and colleges also have their own websites where students can leave textbook reviews. Additionally, there are websites dedicated solely to textbook reviews, such as TextbookRush and TextbookRevolution.

3. How can I use textbook reviews to choose the right textbook?

Textbook reviews can be a helpful tool in selecting the right textbook for your needs. By reading through multiple reviews, you can get a better understanding of the textbook's strengths and weaknesses, as well as how it aligns with your learning style and course requirements. Additionally, you can look for reviews from individuals who have a similar background or academic goals as yourself to get a more personalized perspective.

4. Are textbook reviews online reliable?

As with any online review, it is important to approach textbook reviews critically. While some reviews may be biased or exaggerated, many are written by individuals with firsthand experience using the textbook. It is also helpful to read through multiple reviews to get a well-rounded understanding of the textbook's overall reception.

5. Can I leave my own textbook review online?

Yes, many websites allow users to leave reviews for textbooks they have used. Before leaving a review, be sure to follow any guidelines or criteria set by the website to ensure your review is helpful and informative for others. Additionally, you may want to include specific details and examples in your review to provide a thorough evaluation of the textbook.