Text descenders lost in post headings

• Thread starter Jonathan Scott
  • Start date
In summary, there was a discussion about a problem with the descenders on user names being lost in posts on the forum. A user noticed that this was happening with two specific names, "Greq Bernhardt" and "Borq," due to the line-height being too small for the .nodeLastPost class. After some adjustments were made, the issue was resolved for the most part, although some truncation of the descenders may still occur at certain zoom levels.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
I'm seeing posts by "Greq Bernhardt" and "Borq" (q instead of g) because the descenders on the text in the post headings are getting lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Me too.

testing

EDIT: Oh, I've capitalized G's.

I think the line-height may be too small for class .nodeLastPost. It's currently 14px but the computed font-size is 14.3px with my current font settings.

Code:
 .nodeLastPost
{
  height: auto;
  line-height: normal;
}
That resolves the issue at my end.

I hope we're talking about the same problem...
2e55bnc.jpg

It's a little better now. Jimmy I think they are referring to the username in posts. Does anyone else see what Jimmy does in the forum list?

Sorry, Greg. I thought that might have been a different issue. Didn't mean to heap more problems on the pile.

I think I'll wait a week or two before posting about forum problems. :)

Jimmy said:
I hope we're talking about the same problem...
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi57.tinypic.com%2F2e55bnc.jpg

These look OK here for me.

Thanks, Borek.

Greg, it's not really a big issue for me right now. I'll just hold off on posting feedback until things settle down. Thanks!

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's a little better now. Jimmy I think they are referring to the username in posts. Does anyone else see what Jimmy does in the forum list?

It was the username that I see/saw. :confused: I can also see the height change you made, and think I understand what you're dealing with.

The usernames were originally vertically centered perfectly, albeit the text descenders. I think you increased the line-height. Been there, done that. I now see a wee bit more of the descenders - enough to know that a 'g' isn't a 'q'... But the overall result is fighting back - the text is no longer vertically centered. <sigh>

Greg, I know this involves a style adjustment, and... On rare instances, I've resorted to using a sledgehammer, and enter a negative value for a margin style to get the 'human aesthetics' to triumph over what the browsers think is correct. Whatever actions you may take to win the battle, I promise to check IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and anything else you need as a good soldier. It's great to know I'll see an Alert whenever you post back!

I'm now seeing more of the descenders on the user names but they are still usually truncated a bit. The amount of truncation varies with zoom level, so I guess there may be some rounding effects involved. I'm using Chrome.

Related to Text descenders lost in post headings

What are text descenders and why are they important in post headings?

Text descenders are the portions of letters that extend below the baseline, such as the tails of letters like "g" or "p". They are important in post headings because they can affect the readability and aesthetics of the text.

Why do descenders sometimes get lost in post headings?

This can happen due to a variety of reasons, including font selection, font size, and line spacing. If the font chosen does not have a distinct descender for certain letters, or if the font size is too large and the line spacing is too tight, the descenders can appear to be cut off or missing.

How can I prevent descenders from getting lost in my post headings?

One solution is to choose a font that has distinct descenders for all letters, and to adjust the font size and line spacing to ensure they do not overlap. Another option is to manually adjust the letter spacing to create more room for the descenders.

Do text descenders affect the SEO of my post headings?

In most cases, no. Search engines typically do not rank headlines based on their style or design elements. However, if the missing descenders make the text difficult to read, it could potentially impact the user experience and indirectly affect SEO.

Is there a specific font or font size that is best for preventing lost descenders in post headings?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for this issue. It is best to experiment with different fonts, sizes, and spacing to find what works best for your specific headings. Keep in mind that readability and legibility should be the top priorities, so choose a font that is easy to read and maintains the integrity of the descenders.