Testing antimatter fundamentals

WeeWillieWinkie
TL;DR Summary
Folks, Please add experiments to test antimatter fundamentals. People might think that some of antimatter fundamental properties are obvious or granted.
positron g-factor
positron--positron moller scattering
antiproton g-factor
antihydrogen atom gravity
antihydrogen atom spectroscopy
antihydrogen anion (hydride) spectroscopy
antihyhelium atom spectroscopy
antimatter periodic table
antimatter chemical reactions
antihydrogen molecule spectroscopy
antineutron magnetic moment
antineutron--antineutron scattering
antineutron decay
neutron--antineutron oscillations

Physics news on Phys.org
What research have you done on this so far? What have you found?

Likes WeeWillieWinkie
phinds said:
What research have you done on this so far? What have you found?

I found exchange operator anticommutes with charge conjugation, by making use of so4 group emebdiings into higher dimensions, eg 4n-dimensions. The natural question is whether it contradicts / get support from available experimantal data. I was not able to find relevant experiments. Then ask more.

What experiment we have today with many body antiparticle states? What experiment we have today with interacting antiparticles? To what extent testing antimatter many body effects is on the roadmap of the experiemntal physics?

Let's ask experimental physics community to put efforts and budgets on producing and storage higher antimatter densities. Let see if readers can propose more experiments with antimatter, than what we see posted today by institutional roadmaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
WeeWillieWinkie said:
What experiment we have today with many body antiparticle states? What experiment we have today with interacting antiparticles? To what extent testing antimatter many body effects is on the roadmap of the experiemntal physics?
There was recently the experimental confirmation that antimatter falls down. That was using anti hydrogen, so that is two body.

WeeWillieWinkie said:
Let see if readers can propose more experiments with antimatter, than what we see posted today by institutional roadmaps.
The institutional roadmaps you mention are generally scheduled at capacity. So adding more experiments would require eliminating some. Which specific experiments would you eliminate?

Likes Vanadium 50 and PeterDonis
WeeWillieWinkie said:
Let's ask experimental physics community to put efforts and budgets on producing and storage higher antimatter densities.

What for?

Likes berkeman and WeeWillieWinkie
weirdoguy said:
What for?
1st to avoid counterproductive spending on unemployment and gambling. 2nd, antimatter experimental physics is a bit boring now; there is a good chance to find new physics in interactive antimatter. systematic study of antimatter fundamental laws is ok too, it seems we are mostly done with one-anti-particle effects.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy, Vanadium 50 and Motore
WeeWillieWinkie said:
Let's ask experimental physics community to put efforts and budgets on producing and storage higher antimatter densities. Let see if readers can propose more experiments with antimatter, than what we see posted today by institutional roadmaps.
Setting the priorities of the institutions you mention is way, way beyond anything PF is set up to discuss.

WeeWillieWinkie said:
1st to avoid counterproductive spending on unemployment and gambling.
That is a silly and false dichotomy. The spending alternatives are not between antimatter research on one hand and between unemployment and gambling on the other. Your response is not an indication of an intention to have an informed discussion on this topic.

As I mentioned in my earlier reply the actual alternatives are between the already planned experiments and some alternative experiments. These decisions are made by multiple deeply qualified experts with a view towards maximizing the potential gain given the finite resources.

I know that I don't have the expertise to make a better allocation of resources, and I suspect that there is only one or two members here that are qualified to even weigh in on those questions. Those one or two members, not coincidentally, probably already have weighed in.

WeeWillieWinkie said:
2nd, antimatter experimental physics is a bit boring now; there is a good chance to find new physics in interactive antimatter. systematic study of antimatter fundamental laws is ok too, it seems we are mostly done with one-anti-particle effects.
Maybe you should speak to Bill Nye instead. He might help make it less boring for you.

Thread closed.

Likes topsquark and WeeWillieWinkie