test Review Problem That Wasn't In Any Homework I Can Find

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a kite flying at a certain height with a given string length and angle. The person is asking for help with finding the equation and units for the derivative of the kite's height with respect to the angle, as well as its value and units when the height is 50 feet. They also ask for help with finding the kite's speed using the angular velocity and converting it to miles per hour. The other person suggests using trigonometry, specifically the inverse trigonometric function arcsine, to find the angle theta, but notes that this method results in two unknowns. They also mention the units for the derivative would be feet per radian and suggest using the equation y = 100 sin
skivail
Please Help...test Review Problem That Wasn't In Any Homework I Can Find!

i don't understand how to figure this problem out, and i really need the help.
A kite is flying Y feet about the ground at the end of a 100 ft. string. the string makes an angle of (theta) with the ground.
1. find the equation for dY/d(theta). what are its units?
2. find dY/d(theta) when Y= 50 feet. State the units
3. if the angular velocite d(theta)/dT =.8 radians per second, how fast is the kite rising when Y=50 feet?
4. how fast is your answer to c in miles per hour?
I AM COMPLETELY LOST, EXCEPT FOR I AM PRETTY SURE I CAN FIGURE OUT NUMBER 4 ONCE I HAVE THE ANSWER TO NUMBER 3 SINCE THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CALCULUS. PLEASE HELP ME...THIS IS A REVIEW PROBLEM FOR A TEST I HAVE ON MONDAY (TWO DAYS FROM NOW), AND IF I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DUE THESE TYPE OF PROBLEMS, I AM IN BIG TROUBLE...

Physics news on Phys.org
This one's tough. Have you drawn it out for yourself? If you did, you know you'd have some sort of trig relationship relating the hypotenuse the opposite side and angle theta. I'm wondering, since they gave you Y but not theta, if you should use arcsine (inverse trig relation) to find theta.

arcsinx = Y/100
100arcsinx= Y
100/sqrt(1-x^2x') = YY'
Only problem is you end up with two unknowns using this method...oops. Y' would be the ideal thing to find on #3 but for that you need x (theta), which I am now stumped on how to find. Units for 1 and 2 would probably be feet per radian...

Why don't you just write [itex]y = 100 \sin \theta[/itex] and differentiate?

Related to test Review Problem That Wasn't In Any Homework I Can Find

1. What is the purpose of the "Test Review Problem That Wasn't In Any Homework I Can Find"?

The purpose of the "Test Review Problem That Wasn't In Any Homework I Can Find" is to assess the students' understanding and retention of the material covered in class. It may also serve as a practice for the upcoming test or exam.

2. Why wasn't this problem included in any homework assignments?

This problem may not have been included in the homework assignments because it requires a deeper understanding of the subject matter and may be better suited for a test or exam rather than a homework assignment.

3. Will this problem be graded?

It depends on the teacher's discretion. Some teachers may choose to grade the problem while others may use it as a formative assessment to gauge the students' understanding.

4. Is this problem similar to any problems we have done in class?

The problem may be similar to previous problems done in class, but it may also require a different approach or application of the concepts learned.

5. How should I approach this problem if I am not sure how to solve it?

It is recommended to review the material covered in class and try to apply the concepts to the problem. If you are still unsure, you can ask your teacher for clarification or seek help from a classmate or tutor.