Terminology for levels of body interactivity

In summary, the conversation discusses two theoretical concepts within the context of body interaction: a body with a mass of zero that cannot affect another body, and a body with infinite mass that cannot be affected by another body. These concepts do not have commonly used scientific terms and the participants are seeking suggestions for appropriate names.
Martijn
I have two simple questions:

1) What is the scientific term for "a body that cannot affect another body"?
Effectively, as if this body has a mass of zero. The body can move freely until it contacts another body, in which case it will not be able to affect the other body in any way, and thus be deflected.

And conversely:

2) What is the scientific term for "a body that cannot be affected by another body"?
Effectively, as if this body has infinite mass. The body can move freely, interactions with other bodies cannot effect this body in any way.

This all within the context of body interaction (such as collisions), specifically rigid body dynamics and forward kinematics.

I'm not actually sure there are commonly used terms for these, in which case you are free to suggest something. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of what you are talking about. As far as I know everything interacts with everything else. The only thing i can think of, is perhaps dark matter, which only interacts gravitationally as far as we know. But I don't think that fits your definitions.

Well, it is purely a theoretical concept, one that violates the laws of physics. But in the same way that an structural engineer ignores the gravitational pull of Jupiter, as the force is negligible for all practical purposes. So when I say a "mass of zero", I mean that the mass is negligible in the interactions and therefor ignored.

Anyway, what I am most interested in is finding an appropriate name for these types of bodies.

Last edited:
Ah I see. I wish i could help you with that, sorry.

*bump* (of negligible force)

Anyone else maybe?

Related to Terminology for levels of body interactivity

1. What is the purpose of having terminology for levels of body interactivity?

The purpose of having terminology for levels of body interactivity is to establish a standardized language for discussing and understanding the different ways in which our bodies can interact with technology. This terminology can help researchers and developers communicate more effectively and efficiently, and can also aid in the design and evaluation of interactive technologies.

2. How many levels of body interactivity are typically recognized?

There is no universally agreed upon number of levels of body interactivity, but commonly recognized levels include manual, gestural, haptic, and even brain-computer interface (BCI) interaction. Some models may also include intermediary levels, such as eye gaze or voice control.

3. What is the difference between manual and gestural interaction?

Manual interaction refers to the use of our hands and fingers to manipulate physical objects, such as typing on a keyboard or using a mouse. Gestural interaction, on the other hand, involves using movements of our body, usually hands and arms, to control and interact with technology, such as swiping on a touch screen or making hand gestures in front of a sensor.

4. What is haptic feedback and how does it relate to body interactivity?

Haptic feedback refers to the use of touch or tactile sensations to provide feedback to the user. This can include vibrations, pressure, or other sensations that can enhance the user's experience or aid in their understanding of the technology. Haptic feedback is often used in conjunction with other levels of body interactivity, such as gestural or manual, to create a more immersive and intuitive user experience.

5. How does the understanding of levels of body interactivity impact the development of interactive technologies?

The understanding of levels of body interactivity can greatly impact the development of interactive technologies by informing the design and evaluation process. For example, knowing the different levels of interaction can help developers choose the most appropriate input methods for their technology and consider how different levels of interaction may impact the user experience. It can also aid in the development of more inclusive and accessible technology by considering a wider range of body capabilities and limitations.