Terminal voltage for 2 batteries

In summary, when two batteries are connected in parallel with an 80 ohm resistor, the terminal voltage can be found by calculating the voltage on the resistor using Ohm's law with the sum of the currents from the batteries. The batteries have the same voltage because they are connected to the resistor by conductors with zero resistance.
headshrinker

Homework Statement

two batteries A and B are connected in parallel, and an 80 ohm resistor is connected across the battery terminals. the e.m.f and the internal resistance of battery A are 100V and 5ohms respectively, and the corresponding values for battery B are 95V and 3ohms respectively.

Homework Equations

find (a) the value and direction of the current in each battery and (b) the terminal voltage

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done part (a) but I'm stuck on part (b). i know the answer is 94.66V from looking at the back of the textbook but how do i get this answer? please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
From (a) you know the current through the 80 ohm resister, so you can use V = IR to find the voltage on the whole parallel system including the two batteries.

oh so is it the current through battery A, B and the resistor, multiplied by the resistor?

The current through the resistor is the sum of the two currents from the batteries. That's the "sum of the currents into a node is zero" rule.

oh i see. so the terminal voltage is the sum of the 2 currents from the batteries multiplied by the resistor?

Right. You are actually calculating the voltage on the resistor, but the batteries have the same voltage because they are connected to the resistor by conductors with essentially zero resistance. No change in voltage along a wire with no resistance.

Related to Terminal voltage for 2 batteries

1. What is terminal voltage for 2 batteries?

The terminal voltage for 2 batteries is the combined voltage output of two batteries when connected in series. This means that the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of the other battery, resulting in a higher overall voltage output.

2. How is terminal voltage affected by the number of batteries?

The terminal voltage increases when batteries are connected in series, as the voltage output of each battery is added together. However, if batteries are connected in parallel, the terminal voltage remains the same as the voltage output of each battery.

3. What factors can affect the terminal voltage of 2 batteries?

The terminal voltage of 2 batteries can be affected by factors such as the type of batteries used, their age and condition, and the load connected to the batteries. Temperature can also have an impact on terminal voltage, as colder temperatures can decrease voltage output.

4. How can I calculate the terminal voltage of 2 batteries?

To calculate the terminal voltage of 2 batteries connected in series, you can simply add the individual voltage outputs of each battery. For example, if each battery has a voltage output of 1.5V, the terminal voltage for 2 batteries would be 3V.

5. Why is terminal voltage important for batteries?

Terminal voltage is important for batteries because it determines the amount of electrical energy that can be supplied by the batteries to a circuit. If the terminal voltage is too low, it may not be enough to power the desired device. Additionally, a higher terminal voltage can also indicate the overall health and performance of the batteries.