Tensions and centripetal acceleration

In summary: However, if you rotate the system faster and faster, the string that breaks first is the short string.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

An object of mass m1 of 4.00kg is tied to an object of mass m2 of 3.00kg with a string of length 0.5m. The combination is then swung in a verticular circular path on a second string of length 4.00m. The two strings are always colinear (they are on the same line). At the top of the motion, m2 has a speed of 4.00 m/s. Now, answer the following:
a. What is the tension in the short string (the 0.5m string) at this moment?
b. What is the tension in the long string (the 4.00m string) at this moment?
c. If you rotate the system faster and faster, which string (assuming they have identical strengths) breaks first?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this problem. I keep getting a negative tension while doing this exercise: I've talked to a friend and we keep getting the same result. Our FBD for the first mass (the farthest one) is just one tension and its weight. On the other hand, for the second mass (the closest one) is the tension upwards, the other downwards and the weight. These two forces provide the centripetal force which makes them go in a circle.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 783
Physics news on Phys.org
fogvajarash said:

Our FBD for the first mass (the farthest one) is just one tension and its weight.

who will count the centrifugal force out side? mv2/r

fogvajarash said:

Homework Statement

An object of mass m1 of 4.00kg is tied to an object of mass m2 of 3.00kg with a string of length 0.5m. The combination is then swung in a verticular circular path on a second string of length 4.00m. The two strings are always colinear (they are on the same line). At the top of the motion, m2 has a speed of 4.00 m/s. Now, answer the following:
a. What is the tension in the short string (the 0.5m string) at this moment?
b. What is the tension in the long string (the 4.00m string) at this moment?
c. If you rotate the system faster and faster, which string (assuming they have identical strengths) breaks first?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this problem. I keep getting a negative tension while doing this exercise: I've talked to a friend and we keep getting the same result. Our FBD for the first mass (the farthest one) is just one tension and its weight. On the other hand, for the second mass (the closest one) is the tension upwards, the other downwards and the weight. These two forces provide the centripetal force which makes them go in a circle.

You probably made a sign error. Can you show the equation you get and specify which of the direction you consider positive?

Pranav-Arora said:
You probably made a sign error. Can you show the equation you get and specify which of the direction you consider positive?

no man... just see above... he has not counted the centrifugal force for the second and the first mass

Kishlay said:
no man... just see above... he has not counted the centrifugal force for the second and the first mass

no man...just look at his post...he has not said he is working in a rotating frame.

fogvajarash said:
The combination is then swung in a verticular circular path

i think this means generally that the system is rotating...

Both masses are rotating. So the FBD must take into account not just the forces, but the accelerations as well.

Or you could use the non-inertial co-rotating frame, in which case you will need to take into account fictitious forces.

voko said:
Both masses are rotating.

see... a PF Patron has justified it... Pranav...

Kishlay said:
see... a PF Patron has justified it...

Anyone can become a PF Patron. Don't attach too much meaning to that.

Pranav, however, was right. You mentioned centrifugal force, but it is only present in a rotating frame. A rotating mass does not mean a rotating frame.

Likes 1 person
voko said:
Pranav, however, was right. You mentioned centrifugal force, but it is only present in a rotating frame. A rotating mass does not mean a rotating frame.

but i think a rotating object as above will experience a outward force which will create a tension in the upper string

Negative tension means the string is slack and therefore the objects will not follow a circular path - and indeed tangential velocity of 4 m/s is nowhere near enough to make this system work as described on the Earth's surface.

The question is incomplete: it does not state what gravity is to be taken into account (and if it is gravity at the Earth's surface it does not work), and it does not state whether m1 or m2 is attached to the long string.

Kishlay said:
but i think a rotating object as above will experience a outward force which will create a tension in the upper string

That is not correct. The outward force is fictitious, i.e., not real, and exists only in a non-inertial (co-rotating) reference frame.

In an inertial frame, the only force is the force of tension. It arises because the rotating object, in accordance with Newton's first law, tries to fly in a straight line, which would increase its distance from the center of rotation, and the rope opposes that.

Kishlay said:

Stop it. Learn about centripetal force.

Note that the minimum tangential velocity to maintain tension at the top of the swing and therefore follow a circular path is given by ## \sqrt{rg} ## which is approximately 6.27 m/s at 4 m radius or 6.65 m/s at 4.5 m radius.

Related to Tensions and centripetal acceleration

1. What is tension in physics?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched. It is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled at both ends, creating a state of stress within the object.

2. How is tension related to centripetal acceleration?

Tension is one of the two forces acting on an object moving in a circular path, the other being centripetal force. Centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion. Tension is the force that provides the centripetal force, as it is directed towards the center of the circle and keeps the object from flying off in a straight line.

3. What is the formula for calculating tension?

The formula for calculating tension is T = m * v2 / r, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. How does tension affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

Tension is directly proportional to the square of the velocity of the object. This means that as tension increases, the speed of the object also increases. If tension decreases, the speed of the object will also decrease.

5. Can tension exist without centripetal acceleration?

No, tension cannot exist without centripetal acceleration. As mentioned earlier, tension is one of the two forces responsible for keeping an object in circular motion. Without centripetal acceleration, there would be no circular motion and thus no need for tension.