Tension problem with 2 strings, 1 mass

In summary: What does that tell you about the forces acting on the weight?There is no y-direction given, so I can't write an equation for it. However, since the weight is in equilibrium, the value of ax is zero.
jay1194

Homework Statement

So In this problem, I have two strings, one string pulls with pounds and is 30 degrees away from an imaginary line straight down of of the two strings and there are no variables or degrees given for the second string. The weight is 20 pounds. I have been looking at this equation for hours and nothing is coming to mind. The answer is 10.3 pounds, but i don't know what to do to get there. Also have to have a free body diagram.

here is a picture of problem 2.2. The numbers is parenthesis are the answers to the problem. If i could find the answer for a, then i could easily do b.

Attachments

• 20151109_141924.jpeg
    20151109_141924.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
jay1194 said:

Homework Statement

So In this problem, I have two strings, one string pulls with pounds and is 30 degrees away from an imaginary line straight down of of the two strings and there are no variables or degrees given for the second string. The weight is 20 pounds. I have been looking at this equation for hours and nothing is coming to mind. The answer is 10.3 pounds, but i don't know what to do to get there. Also have to have a free body diagram.

here is a picture of problem 2.2. The numbers is parenthesis are the answers to the problem. If i could find the answer for a, then i could easily do b.
Well, is the weight moving at all when it is suspended by the wires? If it isn't, what does that tell you about the forces acting on the weight?

Likes jay1194
No, it isn't moving at all. The forces are keeping the weight static. That is all I know. I've been staring at this problem for hours and still can't do a thing
The basic equation he told us to use is:
∑Fx = max

jay1194 said:
No, it isn't moving at all. The forces are keeping the weight static. That is all I know. I've been staring at this problem for hours and still can't do a thing
∑Fx = max
Since the weight is not moving, it is in equilibrium, so that particular equation will be of little use in solving this problem.

If you were to draw a free body diagram, could you write the equations of static equilibrium for this weight?

jay1194 said:
∑Fx = max
If nothing starts to move, what is the value of ax? There's also the y direction.

Related to Tension problem with 2 strings, 1 mass

What is the "tension problem with 2 strings, 1 mass"?

The tension problem with 2 strings, 1 mass is a physics problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on a mass that is suspended by two strings or ropes.

What are the variables involved in this problem?

The variables involved in this problem are the mass of the object, the lengths of the two strings, and the tension forces in each string.

How do you calculate the tension forces in the strings?

The tension forces in the strings can be calculated using the equations F=ma and F=mg, where F is the tension force, m is the mass, and a or g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the relationship between the tension forces in the strings?

The tension forces in the strings are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This is known as Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What factors can affect the tension problem with 2 strings, 1 mass?

The tension problem with 2 strings, 1 mass can be affected by factors such as the angle of the strings, the weight of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.