Tension in rope between blocks on an incline

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem where two blocks of different masses connected by a rope slide down an inclined plane. The first part of the problem is to find the acceleration, which has been correctly solved. The second part is to find the tension, with the question of what tension is also raised. The suggested method of finding tension is to use a free body diagram and consider the known forces acting on each block, including weight and friction. The correct answer has been obtained.
Alvin92SD
1. Two blocks made of different materials connected together by a thin rope, slide down a plane ramp inclined at an angle θ to the horizontal (block B is above block A). The masses of the blocks are mA and mB, and the coefficients of friction are μA and μB. If μA < μB, find the tension in terms of mA, mB, and θ

2. The first part of the question is to find the accelearation, a, which I've done and got the correct answer. Finding the tension is the second part of the question, which I've no idea at all how to do. Also, I'm not sure I really understand what tension is.

3. I've tried T=Fa-Fb ,but I didn't get the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a free body diagram? There are three forces acting on each block, two of which you know (if you got the acceleration right). You know that the sum of the forces in the direction of motion is equal to m*a. You have a component of the weight force in the direction of motion, you have the friction force, and you have the unknown tension. The mass should cancel out.

Thank you, I've got the right answer now.

Related to Tension in rope between blocks on an incline

1. What is tension in a rope between blocks on an incline?

Tension in a rope between blocks on an incline refers to the force applied by the rope to keep the blocks from sliding down the incline. It is directed along the length of the rope and is equal in magnitude at both ends of the rope.

2. How is tension calculated in this scenario?

Tension can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the force (tension) is equal to the mass of the blocks times the acceleration due to gravity, plus any additional forces acting on the blocks.

3. Does the angle of the incline affect the tension in the rope?

Yes, the angle of the incline does affect the tension in the rope. As the angle increases, the component of the force due to gravity acting perpendicular to the incline also increases, resulting in a greater tension in the rope.

4. What other factors can affect the tension in the rope?

Besides the angle of the incline, the mass of the blocks, the acceleration due to gravity, and any additional forces, the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the incline can also affect the tension in the rope. A higher coefficient of friction would result in a greater tension in the rope.

5. What happens to the tension in the rope if the blocks are in motion?

If the blocks are in motion, the tension in the rope will change based on the acceleration of the blocks. If the blocks are accelerating down the incline, the tension will be greater than if they were at rest. If the blocks are decelerating or at a constant velocity, the tension will decrease or remain constant, respectively.