Telling if a series is convergent or divergent?

In summary, a series is convergent iff the sum of the terms is greater than 1, divergent iff the sum of the terms is not greater than 1.
m3dicat3d
Just had a question from a coworker regarding how to tell if a series is convergent or divergent.

Been a while since I've dealt with this so I thought I'd ask here.

I *think* I remember that arithmatic series were convergent by nature, but a geometric series could be either convergent or divergent.

And that's about all I know (assuming that is even correct).

Could anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks again :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Telling if a series in convergent or divergent?

In general, an arithmetic series will be divergent (even the $n$th term is divergent as $n\to\infty$), while a geometric series will be convergent iff $|r|<1$.

Infinite arithmetic series $\sum_{n=0}^\infty(an+b)$ diverges unless $a=b=0$: this follows from the $n$th term test for divergence. Infinite geometric series $\sum_{n=0}^\infty ar^n$ converges and its sum equals $a/(1-r)$ iff $|r|<1$.

m3dicat3d said:
Just had a question from a coworker regarding how to tell if a series is convergent or divergent.

Been a while since I've dealt with this so I thought I'd ask here.

I *think* I remember that arithmatic series were convergent by nature, but a geometric series could be either convergent or divergent.

And that's about all I know (assuming that is even correct).

Could anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks again :)

It is essential to specify if we intend a series as a finite or infinite sum. If we intend it as infinite sum then, according to...

Arithmetic Series -- from Wolfram MathWorld

... an arithmetic series is the solution of the difference equation...

$\displaystyle a_{n+1}= a_{n}+ d,\ a_{0}= \alpha$ (1)

... which converges only if is d=0. In other word, an arithmetic series seems to be 'divergent by nature'...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Telling if a series is convergent or divergent?

1. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, you can use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, or the integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series to determine if they approach a finite limit or if they continue to increase indefinitely.

2. What is the comparison test and how is it used to determine convergence or divergence?

The comparison test is a method used to determine if a series is convergent or divergent by comparing it to a known series. If the known series is convergent and the given series is less than or equal to it, then the given series is also convergent. If the known series is divergent and the given series is greater than or equal to it, then the given series is also divergent.

3. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. If a series approaches a finite limit, it is considered convergent. If the terms in the series continue to increase indefinitely, it is considered divergent.

4. Is there a shortcut or formula to quickly determine the convergence or divergence of a series?

Unfortunately, there is no one formula or shortcut that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of all series. Each series must be analyzed and tested using different methods to determine its behavior and convergence.

5. Why is it important to determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

Determining the convergence or divergence of a series is important because it helps to determine the behavior of the series and the sum of its terms. Convergent series have a finite sum, while divergent series do not have a defined sum. This information is crucial in many mathematical and scientific applications.