Telescope with a pinhole as the Objective?

• B
  • Thread starter Frenemy90210
  • Start date
  • Tags
    telescope
In summary, a pinhole is not a suitable replacement for lenses in a telescope as it cannot gather enough light to produce a useful image. Additionally, the purpose of multiple lenses in a camera lens is to adjust for the different refraction angles of various wavelengths, allowing them to focus in a single plane. Therefore, a pinhole would not be able to serve this purpose effectively. It is also important to note that looking directly at the sun through a pinhole can be dangerous and should be avoided.
Frenemy90210
Will a telescope work if its front lens (Objective lens) is replaced with a pinhole ? What if both lenses ( Objective and eyepiece) are replaced with pin holes ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Frenemy90210 said:
Will a telescope work if its front lens (Objective lens) is replaced with a pinhole ? What if both lenses ( Objective and eyepiece) are replaced with pin holes ?

since you labelled you thread with an "I" tag, you should be used to doing research as a undergrad student

so what do you think?
how about trying it out and telling us what happens

Dave

Likes Bystander
davenn said:
since you labelled you thread with an "I" tag, you should be used to doing research as a undergrad student

so what do you think?
how about trying it out and telling us what happens

Dave
I had tried it a few years ago without much success. Frankly nothing was visible. May be somebody else knows/experienced otherwise.

Frenemy90210 said:
I had tried it a few years ago without much success. Frankly nothing was visible. May be somebody else knows/experienced otherwise.

OK
well I doubt a pinhole at each end will be successful

do you know what a pinhole camera is ?
do a quick google and then have some fun :smile:

Ed. note: I changed the label to "B", so more basic posts are possible.

A pinhole is good for looking at sun spots safely. (Projection method)

sophiecentaur said:
So, @Frenemy90210, can you tell us what is different between observing the sun and, say, a galaxy, that could make it work for one and not the other...?

Likes sophiecentaur
russ_watters said:
So, @Frenemy90210, can you tell us what is different between observing the sun and, say, a galaxy, that could make it work for one and not the other...?
. . . . and why the best and most expensive camera lenses have so much glass on the front?

Likes russ_watters
sophiecentaur said:
I only want to mention that the emphasis here lies on projection. Just in case: Do not look directly into the sun, pinhole or not!

Likes Frenemy90210 and sophiecentaur
The bigger the aperture and the wider the field of view, the more light you will collect. Typically, if you are measuring something dim like a galaxy you will be photon limited. A pinhole doesn't collect much light.

russ_watters said:
I can see what you are getting at. Sun emits lot of light and in the other case its not. The reason I asked the question was to know if there is a workaround to that problem. I guess not.

Frenemy90210 said:
know if there is a workaround to that problem.
The workaround is to use many many pinholes over a large area and arrange the phase delay through each hole to be the same so that a coherent image is formed from all of the holes . That's what a lens achieves for you. :wink:

Khashishi said:
The bigger the aperture and the wider the field of view, the more light you will collect. Typically, if you are measuring something dim like a galaxy you will be photon limited. A pinhole doesn't collect much light.
And a pinhole is so small that diffraction will noticeably affect resolution.

Another workaround is to use a very long exposure time, though you are going to run into issues with background noise and the rotation of the Earth.

Khashishi said:
Another workaround is to use a very long exposure time, though you are going to run into issues with background noise and the rotation of the Earth.
That still wouldn't take care of diffraction. Also the actual increase would involve extremely long exposure times (days) for any but the very brightest astronomical objects.
This topic is essentially a practical one and 'in principle' ideas don't necessarily have a place, imo.

sophiecentaur said:

I think it will be great if this statement is re-written/re worded completely from safety point of view. There might be children who are reading this page. Children might be stare at the sun directly through a pin-hole.

Frenemy90210 said:
I think it will be great if this statement is re-written/re worded completely from safety point of view. There might be children who are reading this page. Children might be stare at the sun directly through a pin-hole.
I agree:
Never try to observe the Sun by looking at it directly unless you are using properly designed viewing equipment.
It can easily lead to blindness.
Navigators on ships, in the past, all went blind in one eye because their navigation equipment was not designed properly.

Likes Frenemy90210
Light gathering is the entire challenge. You can take terrific celestial pictures using a standard camera and lens system as long as you can get it stare at one point in the sky long enough. People do this all the time with a standard camera piggy-backed to a well-guided telescope tube. The telescope is only there to provide a star drive based on sighting on a guide star.

Therefore, going the other direction with a pinhole, while it does focus light rays, serves little or no purpose in astronomy simply because it can't capture enough light to make a useful image. Furthermore, "all that glass" in a camera lens is there to adjust for the fact that shorter light rays (blue and ultraviolet) refract at different angles than longer wavelengths (red and infrared) so that all the visible wavelengths focus in one plane. The more elements and the better the glass in the lens determines how well it does compensate for the errors that can occur. Each new major telescope has a bigger and bigger main mirror to do one thing, gather more light. Compare James Webb to Hubble and it's quite easy to see what's going on.

Likes Frenemy90210
trainman2001 said:
Therefore, going the other direction with a pinhole, while it does focus light rays, serves little or no purpose in astronomy simply because it can't capture enough light to make a useful image.

A pinhole does NOT focus light rays, as can be seen by moving it relative to the projection screen which only alters the size of the image. The sharpness of the image is better with smaller images, but only because the circle of confusion is smaller as well.

Related to Telescope with a pinhole as the Objective?

1. What is a telescope with a pinhole objective?

A telescope with a pinhole objective is a simple type of telescope that uses a pinhole to collect and focus light, instead of a traditional lens or mirror. The pinhole acts as the objective, creating an image by allowing light to pass through and converge onto a viewing screen or eyepiece.

2. How does a telescope with a pinhole objective work?

The pinhole in the telescope's objective acts as a small aperture, allowing a limited amount of light to pass through. This light then travels through the telescope's eyepiece, where it is magnified and focused, creating a viewable image. The size and placement of the pinhole determines the telescope's magnifying power and image quality.

3. What are the advantages of using a pinhole objective in a telescope?

A pinhole objective is relatively simple and inexpensive to construct, making it an accessible option for amateur astronomers. It also has a large depth of field, meaning it can focus on objects at varying distances. Additionally, the lack of traditional lenses or mirrors can reduce chromatic aberration, resulting in clearer images.

4. What are the limitations of a telescope with a pinhole objective?

One major limitation of a pinhole objective telescope is its limited light-gathering ability. The small size of the pinhole means that only a small amount of light is able to enter the telescope, resulting in dimmer images. Additionally, the size and placement of the pinhole can affect the quality of the image, and it may be difficult to achieve high magnifications.

5. Are there any practical applications for a telescope with a pinhole objective?

While not as commonly used as traditional telescopes, a pinhole objective telescope has some practical applications. It is often used in camera obscuras, which are used for artistic and educational purposes. It can also be helpful in certain scientific experiments, such as studying the properties of light and optics.