Technical Questions for an embedded software engineer at qualcomm?

In summary, the interviewer asked about experience with embedded devices, programming, and domain knowledge. The interviewer also asked about the interviewee's experience with interviewing, and what kind of questions they might ask.
KingNothing
Hello all. I have a technical interview coming up for a job at qualcomm as an embedded software engineer. Could you PLEASE ask me some questions to help me study? It is an entry level position for a recent grad.

Job is posted https://jobs.qualcomm.com/public/jobDetails.xhtml?requisitionId=1820340".

In this position you will be working hands-on with embedded software design and development for Government related telecommunication products. Work assignments require theoretical and practical knowledge in the areas of C programming, C++ programming, and interfacing with operating systems. Background: QUALCOMM's Government Technologies (QGOV) division develops special products based on its wireless terrestrial and satellite communication technologies for the military, federal, local and foreign governments.

1 to 4 years of embedded software work experience is ideal. Must have strong software development knowledge, C and C++ programming, problem analysis, and debugging. * Knowledge in real-time microprocessor-based embedded programming and embedded real-time operating systems, specifically Linux, is needed. Class work in digital communication or knowledge about WCDMA, CDMA, EV-DO, or LTE is also beneficial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, look up all of those acronyms and make sure you understand what they are and what they mean. If there is any technical stuff behind them that you do not understand, try to learn about it ahead of the interview.

Second, study what the company is doing in that branch. Google is your friend. Perhaps you can figure out who is hiring for this position. Often the person who is running the papers is some functionary from a human resources department looking for certain key words. Try to find out what those key words are. Learn about the phones that might be used in this particular application and then study what Operating systems are in use, what the applications might be, and where this job might lead you.

Then at the interview, try to figure out if this is something you'd enjoy doing. I will be the first to tell you that entry level jobs can be harsh places to work until you learn the shortcuts, the personalities, the policies, and so on. If you don't enjoy the work, find another place. No matter what it pays, you can not buy enough booze or counseling to make a rotten job better.

KingNothing said:
Hello all. I have a technical interview coming up for a job at qualcomm as an embedded software engineer. Could you PLEASE ask me some questions to help me study? It is an entry level position for a recent grad.

Job is posted https://jobs.qualcomm.com/public/jobDetails.xhtml?requisitionId=1820340".

Do you know enough domain specific knowledge about embedded software development?

Things that spring to mind include memory management, fault and error frameworks, and platform specific issues.

Have you done any programming with embedded devices?

The easiest way to get a feel for what you need to know is to know the platform. The platform will dictate everything from memory to flow control. If you have access to embedded device SDK's and architecture manuals (which may include an assembler guide as well), that should give you hints about the subtleties and core important details of an embedded platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
KingNothing said:

Hello King,

Hope you did the interview well! I have an interview lined up for a new grad embedded software engineer position in motorola. It would be very helpful for me if you could provide me details on your interview questions and suggestions for this kind of position ! Thanks in advance!

I would be happy to provide some potential questions for your upcoming technical interview at Qualcomm. Here are a few examples:

1. Can you walk me through your experience with C programming and how you have utilized it in your previous projects?
2. How do you approach problem analysis and debugging in embedded software development?
3. Have you worked with real-time microprocessor-based embedded programming before? If so, can you give an example of a project you worked on and the challenges you faced?
4. How familiar are you with embedded real-time operating systems, specifically Linux? Can you explain how you have used it in your previous work?
5. Have you had any experience with digital communication technologies such as WCDMA, CDMA, EV-DO, or LTE? If not, how do you plan on getting up to speed with these technologies for this position?
6. Can you provide an example of a project where you had to work with both C and C++ programming languages? How did you manage to integrate the two languages effectively?
7. How do you stay updated on the latest trends and developments in embedded software engineering?
8. Can you explain your experience with testing and debugging software in an embedded environment?
9. How do you ensure the reliability and security of embedded software in your projects?
10. Can you give an example of a time when you had to troubleshoot and resolve a complex issue in an embedded software project? How did you approach the problem and what was the outcome?

Related to Technical Questions for an embedded software engineer at qualcomm?

1. What is an embedded software engineer?

An embedded software engineer is a professional who designs and develops software that is specifically tailored to run on embedded systems, such as microcontrollers, microprocessors, and other specialized hardware. These systems are often used in devices like smartphones, smart appliances, and other electronic devices.

2. What kind of technical skills are required for an embedded software engineering role at Qualcomm?

Some of the key technical skills required for an embedded software engineering role at Qualcomm include proficiency in programming languages like C and C++, experience with embedded systems development, knowledge of real-time operating systems, and understanding of hardware-software interaction.

3. What is the role of an embedded software engineer at Qualcomm?

The primary role of an embedded software engineer at Qualcomm is to design, develop, and test software that runs on embedded systems. This includes writing code, debugging and troubleshooting software, and collaborating with other team members to ensure the software meets the necessary requirements.

4. What type of projects would an embedded software engineer at Qualcomm work on?

An embedded software engineer at Qualcomm may work on a variety of projects, depending on the specific role and team they are a part of. Some examples of projects could include developing software for wireless communication devices, creating code for automotive systems, or designing software for IoT devices.

5. What are some important qualities or attributes that a successful embedded software engineer at Qualcomm should possess?

In addition to technical skills, successful embedded software engineers at Qualcomm should also have strong problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. They should also be able to adapt to new technologies and keep up with industry developments in order to constantly improve their skills. Good communication and time management skills are also important for this role.