TD Go Green Challenge - Save the Earth & Preserve Astronomy

In summary, the conversation revolved around a message that should be spread about light pollution and its negative effects on both people and animals. The group involved is competing for a grant to change their campus and potentially others. There was a misunderstanding about voting and clicking on the provided link, but it has since been fixed. The main issue is the need for directional lighting to reduce unnecessary light spillover.
KrisOhn
This isn't even for the campus where I go to school, but as an amateur astronomer, I feel that this message should be spread everywhere.

http://www.tdgogreenchallenge.com/video/p/1/playid/149/id/149/

Light pollution is something more than a nuisance to astronomers, it is also something that is fundamentally changing the way people and animals live their lives, for the worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-illumination

If people can vote for this, and give us a couple more votes, we're in second place, we could get the grant money to change this campus then more could follow with that momentum.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clicking on this link registers a vote for the team?

That's a bit rude, considering I clicked on it to find information about the campus and whether they had answered any considerations such as crime and violence in a light less campus.

Zryn said:
Clicking on this link registers a vote for the team?

That's a bit rude, considering I clicked on it to find information about the campus and whether they had answered any considerations such as crime and violence in a light less campus.

No, you need to click on the vote link on the page, then confirm the vote in your email. I wouldn't post a link like that.

The thing with directional lighting, is that they produce as much light in the needed areas as the older lights did, they just don't have any of the spillover that is unnecessary.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but this picture shows what I originally saw. The link takes me to a different page now.

Attachments

• Voting.JPG
    Voting.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 417
Zryn said:
Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but this picture shows what I originally saw. The link takes me to a different page now.

Yea, the original link I posted was broken, you never actually voted, it's fixed now.

Related to TD Go Green Challenge - Save the Earth & Preserve Astronomy

What is the TD Go Green Challenge?

The TD Go Green Challenge is a competition that encourages individuals and organizations to come up with innovative solutions to help save the environment and preserve astronomy.

How can I participate in the TD Go Green Challenge?

To participate in the TD Go Green Challenge, you can submit a proposal for an innovative project or idea that promotes sustainability and helps to protect the night sky. Submissions can be made through the official website or through designated channels set up by participating organizations.

What are the eligibility requirements for the TD Go Green Challenge?

The eligibility requirements for the TD Go Green Challenge vary depending on the specific organization hosting the competition. Generally, participants must be over 18 years of age and have a valid project proposal that aligns with the theme of the challenge.

What are the benefits of participating in the TD Go Green Challenge?

Participating in the TD Go Green Challenge can bring a variety of benefits, including the opportunity to showcase your innovative ideas and solutions, networking and collaboration opportunities, and the chance to win prizes and recognition for your efforts.

How does the TD Go Green Challenge help to save the Earth and preserve astronomy?

The TD Go Green Challenge aims to bring attention to the importance of sustainability and protecting the environment, as well as preserving the night sky for future generations. By encouraging individuals and organizations to come up with innovative solutions, the challenge helps to drive positive change and create a more sustainable future.