Taylor Series for Square Root Function

In summary, the problem is asking to expand the function ##f(x) = \sqrt{2x+1}## into a Taylor series around the point ##c=1## and find the interval of convergence. To do this, the formula ##f(x) = \sum\frac{1}{n!}f^{(n)}(c)(x-c)^n## is used. The first derivatives of ##f(1)## are calculated and the general term is found by substituting ##x = 1 + t/2##, resulting in ##1 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty(-1)^{n+1} \frac{1}{n!} \left (\frac{
nuuskur
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

Expand ##f(x) = \sqrt{2x+1}## into a Taylor series around point ##c=1##. Find the interval of convergence.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do know that ##f(x) = \sum\frac{1}{n!}f^{(n)}(c)(x-c)^n## assuming the function is representable as a Taylor series. How do I figure out the series for this particular problem?
I have calculated some of the first derivatives of ##f(1)##:
[tex]f(x) = 3^\frac{1}{2} + 3^{-\frac{1}{2}}(x-1) - \frac{1}{2!}3^{-\frac{3}{2}}(x-1)^2+\frac{1}{3!}3\cdot 3^{-\frac{5}{2}}+ ... = \sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{n!} ? (x-1)^n[/tex]
What do I do to come up with the general term for ##?##

Physics news on Phys.org
nuuskur said:

Homework Statement

Expand ##f(x) = \sqrt{2x+1}## into a Taylor series around point ##c=1##. Find the interval of convergence.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do know that ##f(x) = \sum\frac{1}{n!}f^{(n)}(c)(x-c)^n## assuming the function is representable as a Taylor series. How do I figure out the series for this particular problem?
I have calculated some of the first derivatives of ##f(1)##:
[tex]f(x) = 3^\frac{1}{2} + 3^{-\frac{1}{2}}(x-1) - \frac{1}{2!}3^{-\frac{3}{2}}(x-1)^2+\frac{1}{3!}3\cdot 3^{-\frac{5}{2}}+ ... = \sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{n!} ? (x-1)^n[/tex]
What do I do to come up with the general term for ##?##

I think the easiest way is to write ##x = 1 + t/2## and expand around ##t = 0##.

Ray Vickson said:
I think the easiest way is to write ##x = 1 + t/2## and expand around ##t = 0##.
What is the idea behind this substitution? What is your reason for picking so-and-so substitution? What are you trying to simplify?

nuuskur said:
What is the idea behind this substitution? What is your reason for picking so-and-so substitution? What are you trying to simplify?

The expansion of ##(1+u)^p## about ##u = 0## is well known, even if ##p## is fractional and/or negative. If you are not familiar with it, you should learn it; basically, it is the binomial expansion extended to arbitrary powers, with an appropriate definition of ##C(p,k)## ("p choose k") for integer ##k \geq 0## and arbitrary real ##p \neq 0## (Newton, circa 1665).

Of course, you could use ##x = 1 + t## instead of ##x = 1 + t/2##. Try these and see what you get.

Well for ##(1+x)^p = 1 + px +\frac{p(p-1)}{2!}x^2 + \frac{p(p-1)(p-2)}{3!}x^3 + ...## Then for this problem it would become:

[tex](1+2x)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 1 + \frac{1}{2}(2x) + \frac{1}{2!}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdot-\frac{1}{2}(2x)^2 + \frac{1}{3!}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdot -\frac{1}{2}\cdot-\frac{3}{2}(2x)^3 + \frac{1}{4!}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdot -\frac{1}{2}\cdot -\frac{3}{2}\cdot -\frac{5}{2}(2x)^4 + ... = 1 + x -\frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{2}x^3 - \frac{5}{8}x^4[/tex]
If I substitute ##x = t+\frac{1}{2}## then
[tex]\sqrt{2}(1+t)^{\frac{1}{2}} = \sqrt{2}\left (1 + \frac{1}{2}t -\frac{1}{8} + \frac{1}{16}t^3 -\frac{5}{128}t^4 + ...\right ) , |t|<1[/tex]
up until the 5th summand everything looks ok and then I get a factor of ##\frac{5}{128}##. How should I proceed?

I also tried ##x = t+1## the problem is the same, at the 5th summand the logic breaks down.

Can I say that if ##|t|< 1## then substituting back: ##|x-\frac{1}{2}|< 1##?

Last edited:
Likes Noctisdark
(1+t)^p , expand that then replace p by 1/2 and t = 2x
(1+t)^p = Σ(p)n*(t^n)/n! Where (p)n is the falling factorial so just change t with 2x
(P)n = p(p-1)(p-2)...

Can you just write the series as [tex](1+2x)^{\frac{1}{2}} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{P(n)}{n!}(2x)^n[/tex]

[itex](1+2x)^{\frac{1}{2}} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(P)_{\frac{1}{2}}}{n!}(2x)^n[/itex]? Does the index represent the power?

Anyhow, if ##|t|<1##, this is around point ##c=0##. If I substitute back ##|x-\frac{1}{2}|<1## would this be around point ##c=1##?
If so then [itex]\begin{cases}x>-\frac{1}{2}, &-1< x-\frac{1}{2}<0\\x<\frac{3}{2}, &0\leq x-\frac{1}{2}<1 \end{cases}[/itex]

Last edited:
Likes Noctisdark
In your case p = 1/2 so (1/2)n = ((-1)^(n+1))*(2n-1)!/2^n for n>1 when n = 0 (1/2)n = 1, i think you can expand it now,1+ Σ[((-1)^n+1)*(2n-1)!*x^n]/n!

nuuskur said:
[itex](1+2x)^{\frac{1}{2}} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(P)_{\frac{1}{2}}}{n!}(2x)^n[/itex]? Does the index represent the power?

Anyhow, if ##|t|<1##, this is around point ##c=0##. If I substitute back ##|x-\frac{1}{2}|<1## would this be around point ##c=1##?
If so then [itex]\begin{cases}x>-\frac{1}{2}, &-1\leq x-\frac{1}{2}<0\\x<\frac{3}{2}, &0\leq x-\frac{1}{2}<1 \end{cases}[/itex]
Read wha you've written !
Can absolute value be less than zero ?
Edit, if you have evaluated (p)n you'd find that -1<=x<=1 because the 2^n goes by the falling factorial, so -1/2 <=x<=1

Last edited:
I am attempting to read what you have written :D (highly recommend TeXing mathematical text, I put more emphasis in deciphering your post compared to actually focusing on its meaning in the context of the current problem)
EDIT: nonsensical

Last edited:
nuuskur said:
I am attempting to read what you have written :D (highly recommend TeXing mathematical text, I put more emphasis in deciphering your post compared to actually focusing on its meaning in the context of the current problem)
If ##p=\frac{1}{2}## then it would be [tex](1+2x)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 1 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}(2n-1)!}{n!}x^n[/tex]

Unless I misunderstood your original question, I thought you were asked to find the expansion of ##f(x) = \sqrt{2x+1}## about the point ##x = 1##, which means you want a series involving ##(x-1)^n##, not ##x^n##. That is the reason I suggested writing ##x = 1 + t##, so ##f(x) = \sqrt{3+2t}##. You want the expansion of that in ##t^n## terms.

Right you are, I am getting side-tracked and confused :S.
If ##x = t+1## then [tex]\sqrt{3}(1+\frac{2}{3}t)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 1 + \left [\frac{1}{2}\left (\frac{2}{3}t\right )\right ] + \left [\frac{1}{2!}\frac{1}{2}\left (-\frac{1}{2}\right )\left (\frac{2}{3}t\right )^2\right ] + \left [\frac{1}{3!}\frac{1}{2}\left (-\frac{1}{2}\right )\left (-\frac{3}{2}\right )\left (\frac{2}{3}t\right )^3\right ] + \left [\frac{1}{4!}\frac{1}{2}\left (-\frac{1}{2}\right )\left (-\frac{3}{2}\right )\left (-\frac{5}{2}\right )\left (\frac{2}{3}t\right )^4\right ][/tex]

However, to come up with the general term. I understand I can express this in the form ##1 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty(-1)^{n+1} \frac{1}{n!} \left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^nt^n##. Problem is what comes in between there? The falling factorial seems viable, but it isn't mentioned in my textbook, I suspect I am expected to solve this problem differently.

Last edited:
nuuskur said:
Right you are, I am getting side-tracked and confused :S.
If ##x = t+1## then [tex]\sqrt{3}(1+\frac{2}{3}t)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 1 + \left [\frac{1}{2}\left (\frac{2}{3}t\right )\right ] + \left [\frac{1}{2!}\frac{1}{2}\left (-\frac{1}{2}\right )\left (\frac{2}{3}t\right )^2\right ] + \left [\frac{1}{3!}\frac{1}{2}\left (-\frac{1}{2}\right )\left (-\frac{3}{2}\right )\left (\frac{2}{3}t\right )^3\right ] + \left [\frac{1}{4!}\frac{1}{2}\left (-\frac{1}{2}\right )\left (-\frac{3}{2}\right )\left (-\frac{5}{2}\right )\left (\frac{2}{3}t\right )^4\right ][/tex]

However, to come up with the general term. I understand I can express this in the form ##1 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty(-1)^{n+1} \frac{1}{n!} \left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^nt^n##. Problem is what comes in between there? The falling factorial seems viable, but it isn't mentioned in my textbook, I suspect I am expected to solve this problem differently.

Are you not allowed to go to the library and look things up, learning about and using tools not in your textbook? Back when I was attending classes that would have been praiseworthy behavior, unless specifically forbidden for some reason----and that never happened. The only requirement was to cite sources. Of course, nowadays going on-line replaces a walk to the library.

Alternatively, you could just go ahead and compute ##\left. d^n f(x)/dx^n \right|_{x=1}## to get the Taylor expansion coefficients directly.

nuuskur said:

However, to come up with the general term. I understand I can express this in the form ##1 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty(-1)^{n+1} \frac{1}{n!} \left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^nt^n##.
The second form you wrote isn't correct. Perhaps that's why it's not making sense to you.

Problem is what comes in between there? The falling factorial seems viable, but it isn't mentioned in my textbook, I suspect I am expected to solve this problem differently.
Forget about the falling factorial. Just look for patterns and simplify. For example, how many powers of 2 do you get in each term in the denominator? How many in the numerator? Do they follow a predictable pattern so you can cancel them out? What about the sign of each term?

Yes, the falling factorial is forgotten. This is what I have come up with.

[tex]1 + \frac{1}{1!}\frac{1}{3^1}t^1 -\frac{1}{2!}\frac{1}{3^2}t^2 + \frac{1}{3!}\frac{3}{3^3}t^3 - \frac{1}{4!}\frac{3\cdot 5}{3^4}t^4 + \frac{1}{5!}\frac{3\cdot 5\cdot 7}{3^5}t^5[/tex]
I know what the pattern is, but I don't know how to express the ##3\cdot 5\cdot 7\cdot 9 ...## as a general term.

Last edited:
Notation-wise, that's sometimes written using the double-factorial, e.g., ##7! = 1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 7##. If you define (-1)! = 1, you can write your series as
$$1 + \sum_{k=1}^\infty (-1)^{k+1}\frac{(2k-3)!}{k!3^k} t^k.$$ That's just notation though.

Another way, which is perhaps more useful to know, is to use the fact that, for example,
$$ 1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 7 = \frac{1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdot 4 \cdot 5 \cdot 6 \cdot 7}{2 \cdot 4 \cdot 6} = \frac{7!}{2^3 3!}$$

Likes nuuskur
vela said:
Notation-wise, that's sometimes written using the double-factorial, e.g., ##7! = 1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 7##. If you define (-1)! = 1, you can write your series as
$$1 + \sum_{k=1}^\infty (-1)^{k+1}\frac{(2k-3)!}{k!3^k} t^k.$$ That's just notation though.

Another way, which is perhaps more useful to know, is to use the fact that, for example,
$$ 1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 7 = \frac{1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdot 4 \cdot 5 \cdot 6 \cdot 7}{2 \cdot 4 \cdot 6} = \frac{7!}{2^3 3!}$$
Yes, I was experimenting around with that, too. I would like to avoid unnecessarely adding new concepts to the solution. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Related to Taylor Series for Square Root Function

What is the Taylor expansion of a function?

The Taylor expansion of a function is a way to approximate a function using a series of polynomial terms. It is based on the idea that any function can be represented as an infinite sum of simpler polynomial functions.

What is the purpose of a Taylor expansion?

The purpose of a Taylor expansion is to approximate a function and make it easier to work with. It allows for the estimation of values of a function at points where it may be difficult to calculate directly. It is also used in calculus to find derivatives and integrals of functions.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor series is an infinite sum that represents a function, while a Taylor polynomial is a finite sum that is used to approximate a function. A Taylor polynomial is a truncated version of the Taylor series, meaning it includes a limited number of terms and therefore is only an approximation of the function.

How is a Taylor expansion calculated?

A Taylor expansion is calculated by taking the derivatives of the function at a specific point and plugging them into a formula that involves the polynomial terms. The more terms that are included in the calculation, the more accurate the approximation will be.

What are some real-world applications of Taylor expansions?

Taylor expansions are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and computer science. They are particularly useful for approximating complex functions in physics equations, predicting financial trends, and optimizing computer algorithms.