Taylor Mechanics Problem 5.13

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equilibrium position and angular frequency of small oscillations for a one-dimensional mass with potential energy given by U(r) = U0((r/R) + (lambda^2(R/r)) for 0 < r < infinity, with U0, R, and lambda as positive constants. The solution involves using the first derivative to find the equilibrium position at r0 = lambda R and then using the Taylor expansion to show that the potential energy can be expressed as U = const + 1/2 kx^2 for small x, where k is the second derivative of U(r). Finally, the angular frequency can be found by calculating the second derivative of U(r) and solving for the angular frequency.
Borus Ken

Homework Statement

This is the problem verbatim:

The Potential energy of a one-dimensional mass m at distance r from the origin is

U(r) = U0 ((r/R) +(lambda^2 (R/r))

for 0 < r < infinity, with U0 , R, and lambda all positive constants. Find the equilibrium position r0. Let x be the distance from equilibrium and show that, for small x, the PE has the form U = const + 1/2 kx^2. What is the angular frequency of small oscillations?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have solved for the equilibrium position by taking the first derivative and setting that equal to zero to find that position to be lambda R.

My problem now is that I cannot figure out how to arrange the equation in the aforementioned form. I have taken the Taylor Polynomial of U(r) and eliminated the first few terms leaving the second derivative multiplied by x^2/2 which is obviously where that portion in the above equation comes from. However, I do not get a constant if I sub r0 in ignoring x because of it being small. I really have tried many different attempts and cannot figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Please show your attempt at the Taylor expansion so that we can see if there are any errors in your work. I don't understand the following statement:
Borus Ken said:
I do not get a constant if I sub r0 in ignoring x because of it being small.

Thanks for the reply and I apologize. My attempt is as follows.

U( r) = U ( r) + U'(r)x + (1/2)U''(r)x^2... Ignoring the following terms because x is already small and x^n where n >2 is negligible. Also, from what I have gathered the first term can be ignored and U'(r)x near equilibrium will be close to zero. Therefore the only term left is (1/2) U''(r)x^2. For the second derivative of the equation I get:

U''(r) = U0 2(lambda^2) R/r^3.

Subbing in r0 + x gives a nasty equation. However, If I ignore x because it is small ( not sure if I can do that, I was just trying to find a solution) I only get a term proportional to x^2 or akin to 1/2 kx^2 rather than that plus a constant. So I am stumped to say the least.

OK, you have the right idea, but you need to be careful with exactly how you write the expansion. You wrote
Borus Ken said:
U( r) = U ( r) + U'(r)x + (1/2)U''(r)x^2...
But note how this doesn't make sense as written. On the left you have ##U(r)##. But the first term on the right side is also ##U(r)##. Clearly, something's wrong here.

Review how to do a Taylor expansion about a point. For example, see this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series#Definition

You are dealing with a function of ##r##, so you should replace all the ##x##'s in the link with ##r##'s. You also need to think about the choice of the point ##a## in the link. That is, decide what value of ##r## that you want to "expand about".

Likes Borus Ken
Thank you TSny.

I haven't reviewed Taylor Series for about a year and after reviewing them I was quickly able to solve the problem. I appreciate your help.

Related to Taylor Mechanics Problem 5.13

1. What is Taylor Mechanics Problem 5.13?

Taylor Mechanics Problem 5.13 is a specific problem in the field of classical mechanics, named after the mathematician and physicist Geoffrey Taylor. It involves a rigid body that is rotating in a gravitational field, and the goal is to find the equations of motion for this system.

2. What is the significance of Taylor Mechanics Problem 5.13?

This problem is significant because it provides a real-world application of theoretical concepts in classical mechanics, such as angular momentum and torque. It also helps to further our understanding of the behavior of rotating bodies in a gravitational field.

3. How is Taylor Mechanics Problem 5.13 solved?

There are multiple methods for solving this problem, but the most common approach is to use Newton's laws of motion and the Euler-Lagrange equations to derive the equations of motion for the system. These equations can then be solved numerically or analytically to find the motion of the body.

4. What are some challenges associated with solving Taylor Mechanics Problem 5.13?

One major challenge is the complexity of the problem, as it involves multiple variables and equations. Another challenge is the need for a strong understanding of classical mechanics and mathematical concepts such as calculus and differential equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of Taylor Mechanics Problem 5.13?

This problem has applications in fields such as astrophysics, where it can be used to study the motion of celestial bodies, and engineering, where it can be used to design and analyze rotating systems such as turbines and gyroscopes.