Taylor expansion to express e^x

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of sigma notation in evaluating values for $e^x$. The formula for $e^x$ is shown in sigma notation, and the question is asked about how to find a specific value for $e^x$ with a given value for $x$. The conversation also touches on understanding the meaning of the first term in the sigma notation and how to alter the values of $x$. Finally, the conversation ends with a question about finding $e^2$ in terms of a series.
DeusAbscondus
Hi folks,

If $e^x= \Sigma_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^k}{k!}$

what do I evaluate $x$ at?
How does the sigma notation tell me what to do with $x$?

$$e^x= \Sigma_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^k}{k!}\ = 1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+\frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^4}{4!} ... \text {ad infinitum}$$

Sorry, I just realized my error: this formula gives me a way of finding out a given value for $e^x$ with $x=a$ ie: with $x$ set to any value.
Right?

My real problem is actually related, but quite other than this.
And your response, believe it not, gave me pause to ask myself the question again and realize this ie: that I actually have another question.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: taylor expansion to express $e^x$

DeusAbscondus said:
Hi folks,

If $e^2= \Sigma_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^k}{k!}$

what do I evaluate $x$ at?
How does the sigma notation tell me what to do with $x$?

My inadequate understanding of key concepts is evidenced below, as I try to work with the sigma expression:

$$e^x= \Sigma_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^k}{k!}\ = 1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+\frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^4}{4!} ... \text {ad infinitum}$$

The only reason I derive $1$ for the first term is that $k=0$ in that term;
thereafter, where is the instruction to alter the values of $x$?

Thanks for any help,
Deo Abscondito

I don't think I get what you're asking. Are you trying to ask if (a) we know how to figure out what $x$ is if $\displaystyle e^2=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^k}{k!}$ or (b) if we're given $\displaystyle e^x=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^k}{k!}$, then what is $e^2$ in terms of a series?

Related to Taylor expansion to express e^x

1. What is a Taylor expansion?

A Taylor expansion is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, with each term being a polynomial of increasing degree. It is used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point by using information about the function and its derivatives at that point.

2. How is Taylor expansion used to express e^x?

Taylor expansion can be used to express any function, including e^x. The general form of the Taylor expansion for a function f(x) at a point a is given by f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + (f''(a)/2!)(x-a)^2 + (f'''(a)/3!)(x-a)^3 + ...

3. What is the Maclaurin series for e^x?

The Maclaurin series for e^x is a special case of the Taylor expansion, where the point a is equal to 0. It is given by e^x = 1 + x + (x^2)/2! + (x^3)/3! + ...

4. Why is Taylor expansion useful?

Taylor expansion is useful because it allows us to approximate the value of a function at a specific point, even if we do not know the exact value of the function at that point. It is also used in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in the fields of physics, finance, and engineering.

5. What is the significance of the remainder term in Taylor expansion?

The remainder term in Taylor expansion represents the difference between the exact value of the function and the value obtained by using the Taylor series approximation. It is important because it tells us how accurate our approximation is and can be used to determine the number of terms needed for a desired level of precision.