Taylor expansion of an integral (for Thermodynamic Perturbations)

In summary, thermodynamic perturbation theory for the Gibbs distribution involves calculating the free energy using the expression e^{-F/T} = \int e^{-(E+V)/T} \mathrm{d}\Gamma and expanding it to second order by logarithmizing it and then expanding it in terms of V. However, there is confusion on how to expand it further, with one suggestion being to view the integral as a sum and expand with respect to different V_i values before converting it back to an integral.
mSSM
In thermodynamic perturbation theory (chapter 32 in Landau's Statistical Physics) for the Gibbs (= canonical) distribution, we have [itex]E = E_0 + V[/itex], where [itex]V[/itex] is the perturbation of our energy.

When we want to calculate the free energy, we have:
[tex]e^{-F/T} = \int e^{-(E+V)/T} \mathrm{d}\Gamma[/tex]

We can expand the expression inside the integral for small values of [itex]V[/itex] to second order we obtain:
[tex]e^{-F/T} = \int e^{E/T} (1 - V/T + (V/T)^2) \mathrm{d}\Gamma[/tex]

Now, the next step is to logarithmize this expression and then expand it in terms of [itex]V[/itex] again, to second order:
[tex]F = -T \log \bigl( \int e^{E/T} (1 - V/T + (V/T)^2) \mathrm{d}\Gamma \bigr)[/tex]

But now I am stuck. I don't understand how to expand this in a series. The zeroth order still works great, and I obtain [itex]-T \log \int e^{E/T} = F[/itex], which is just what I want. But from the first order onwards I am stuck:
What is the rule for Taylor expanding an integral? Especially, e.g., if I have [itex]f'(a) (x-a)[/itex] for first order, where exactly do I 'put' the [itex]x[/itex]? Inside the integral?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So, I thought about this a little with a friend. I believe that I could see the integral as a sum, with a lot of different [itex]V_i[/itex], albeit them lying infinitesimally close to each other. Therefore, one could view the expansion with respect to [itex]V[/itex] as expansions with respect to a lot of different [itex]V_i[/itex] in this 'sum'. After this expansion one could imagine making the sum into an integral once more, such that the orders of [itex]V[/itex] are inside the integrals.

Related to Taylor expansion of an integral (for Thermodynamic Perturbations)

1. What is the Taylor expansion of an integral?

The Taylor expansion of an integral is a mathematical method for approximating the value of an integral around a specific point. It involves using the derivatives of the function at that point to construct a polynomial that closely matches the original function.

2. Why is the Taylor expansion used for thermodynamic perturbations?

The Taylor expansion is used for thermodynamic perturbations because it allows us to approximate changes in a thermodynamic system around a specific point. This is useful in studying small changes in the system, such as in the case of perturbations.

3. What are the applications of the Taylor expansion in thermodynamics?

The Taylor expansion has several applications in thermodynamics, including in the study of phase transitions, chemical reactions, and the behavior of gases. It is also used in the analysis of thermodynamic cycles and in the calculation of thermodynamic properties.

4. How is the Taylor expansion related to the first and second laws of thermodynamics?

The Taylor expansion is related to the first and second laws of thermodynamics through the concept of entropy. The terms in the Taylor expansion can be used to calculate changes in entropy, which is a fundamental property in thermodynamics.

5. Can the Taylor expansion be used for non-linear functions?

Yes, the Taylor expansion can be used for non-linear functions. However, the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the function becomes more non-linear. In some cases, it may be necessary to use higher-order terms in the expansion to get a more accurate approximation.