Taylor Expansion of A Magnetic Field

In summary: It seems you are looking for the field of a helix which has displacement x+ε,y+ε. In order to find this field, you will need to use the Taylor expansion. To find the expansion coefficients, you will need to evaluate the integral from -∞ to +∞ because the helix is infinite.
jasonpatel
Quick question about Taylor expansions that I am getting pretty confused about. Let's say using biot savart I want to find the field of a INFINITE helix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix) along the axis but with very slight displacements of x and y (x+ε,y+ε). Here is a series of steps I will go through:

1. set up biot savart integral along z-axis (x=y=0)

2. compute biot savart integral with respect to theta

3. evaluate integral from -∞ to +∞ because infinite helix

4. obtain a function of Bx(z), By(z) and Bz(z)

So, when should I do the Taylor expansion to find {Bx,By,Bz} at very slight x and y? Can I even do this with a function that doesn't have x or y in it?

Do I need to revaluate this biot savart integral with x,y≠0? to obtain an expression of B like{Bx(x,y,z),By(x,y,z),Bz(x,y,z)}? If so when do I taylor expand?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understood you correctly, you want to find the field on line x = ε, y =ε just from the function [itex]\mathbf B(0,0,z)[/itex] defined on the line x=0,y=0,z=0. Is that right?

You can write the Taylor theorem in this way:

[tex]
B_z(ε,ε,z) = B_z(0,0,z) + \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial x} ε + \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial y} ε
[/tex]

But the problem is how to find out the derivatives. I do not think you can find them just from [itex]\mathbf B(0,0,z)[/itex].

It seems you will have to use Biot-Savart for line ε,ε,z directly. However, you may end up with nasty integral. And perhaps here you can simplify them by expanding the function under integral up to first or second order terms in ε.

Heureka, in fact one can use small trick to simplify it. The line is in free space and the field is static, so the curl of B is zero. This implies that

[tex]
\frac{\partial B_z}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial B_x}{\partial z}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\frac{\partial B_z}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial B_y}{\partial z}
[/tex]

so you can write

[tex]
B_z(ε,ε,z) = B_z(0,0,z) + \frac{\partial B_x}{\partial z}ε + \frac{\partial B_y}{\partial z}ε
[/tex]

and this can be calculated just from [itex]\mathbf B(0,0,z)[/itex]

Perhaps similar trick using [itex]\nabla\cdot\mathbf B = 0[/itex] and helical symmetry may help to find out the components [itex]B_x, B_y[/itex].

Hi thanks for your reply. I do think I understand what you are saying but just to make sure I attached a pdf of what I plan to do (only the x component is shown in the pdf...ill be doing the y,z components as well).

Basically ill perform the biot savart integral with x, y and z as passive variables and integrate with respect to dθ.

ALso, where did you get that formulation of the taylor series? I have never seen it before. Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

• sample calc physics forum.pdf
    92 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Also I am not only looking at the z component of the B field, I am also looking at the x and y component as well.

Actually the field of B[0,0,z] is not static, i have done the calculation already:

1. B-z component is static along the z axis

2. B-y component is sinusoidal along the z axis

3. the B-x component is sinusoidal along the z axis

This is all done along the z axis so x=y=0

Any ideas? I am kind of stuck here esp with the integrals in full {x,y,z} space (not just on the axis x=y=0)

Related to Taylor Expansion of A Magnetic Field

What is the Taylor Expansion of a Magnetic Field?

The Taylor Expansion of a Magnetic Field is a mathematical technique used to approximate a magnetic field at a given point by using a series of derivatives at that point.

Why is the Taylor Expansion important in studying magnetic fields?

The Taylor Expansion allows us to approximate the behavior of a magnetic field at a specific point, which can be useful in understanding the overall behavior of the field and making predictions about its behavior in different situations.

What are the assumptions made when using the Taylor Expansion for a magnetic field?

The primary assumption is that the magnetic field is continuous and differentiable at the point being considered. Additionally, the higher order derivatives of the field must exist and be finite at that point.

How is the Taylor Expansion used in practical applications?

The Taylor Expansion can be used to calculate the value of a magnetic field at a specific point, which can be useful in designing and optimizing magnetic devices such as motors and generators. It can also be used in mathematical modeling of magnetic fields in various systems.

What are the limitations of the Taylor Expansion in studying magnetic fields?

The Taylor Expansion is an approximation and may not accurately represent the behavior of a magnetic field in all situations. It is also limited to a specific point and may not be applicable to the overall behavior of the magnetic field. In addition, it assumes a continuous and differentiable magnetic field, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.