Tangent of a circle question

In summary, the ball leaves at (sqrt(2)/2, sqrt(2)/2); v=(sqrt(2), sqrt(2)); R= (sqrt(2)/2, sqrt(2)/2) + v(t-Pi/8) which is the position at time t.
imsoconfused

Homework Statement

A ball that is circling with x=cos(2t), y=sin(2t) flies off on a tangent at t=Pi/8. find its departure point and its position vector at a later time t (linear motion; compute its constant velocity v).

Homework Equations

v=dR/dt T=v/|v|= (dR/dt)/(ds/dt)=dR/ds.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got to be the dumbest person on the planet. all I can think to do is this: R= cos(2t) + sin(2t). I thought after that it'd be a good idea to differentiate to find the velocity, but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. what I find is this: v=-2sin(2t)+2cos(2t). then I went to find |v|, but I'm don't know how to compute it when I've still got the t in there.

whatever I do there, it's just not coming out right with the answer key. (thank goodness I have at least one odd-numbered problem tonight!) what the author says is this:
leaves at (sqrt(2)/2, sqrt(2)/2); v=(sqrt(2), sqrt(2)); R= (sqrt(2)/2, sqrt(2)/2) + v(t-Pi/8) which is the position at time t.

helppppp! I promise this is my last post tonight! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate the VECTOR (cos(2t),sin(2t)) and find its length! Don't differentiate cos(2t)+sin(2t). You aren't the dumbest person on the planet. I've been getting a bounty of dumb questions tonite and this is by no means the worst.

this is a potential lightbulb moment! I still have questions, though. are my differentiations correct other than the fact that I tried to add them? I'm not sure how to find the length since there are still t's involved.

thanks for the morale boost, dick!

Yes. The derivative vector is (-2*sin(2t),2*cos(2t)). The length of a vector (x,y) is sqrt(x^2+y^2). There's an identity that says cos^2(a)+sin^2(a)=? Can you look that up for me? Uh, don't let my praise go to your head. :)

well I don't know about that identity... I know cos^2(u)+sin^2(u)=1, but if we're talking about the same one, I'm not sure how that does me any good because what I'm getting under the square root is this:
-4sin^2(4t)+4cos^2(4t).

Noooo. You have 4*sin^2(2t)+4*cos^(2t). (-2*sin(2t))^2=4*sin^(2t). sin(2t)*sin(2t) is not sin^2(4t). Please rethink that and get back to me in the morning.

Related to Tangent of a circle question

What is the tangent of a circle?

The tangent of a circle is a line that touches the circle at exactly one point, known as the point of tangency. It is perpendicular to the radius of the circle at that point.

How do you find the tangent of a circle?

To find the tangent of a circle, you can use the formula tangent = opposite/adjacent, where the opposite length is the distance from the point of tangency to the center of the circle, and the adjacent length is the radius of the circle.

What is the relationship between the tangent of a circle and its radius?

The tangent of a circle and its radius are always perpendicular to each other at the point of tangency. This means that the tangent of a circle is always at a 90 degree angle to the radius of the circle at the point of tangency.

Can the tangent of a circle be greater than the radius?

No, the tangent of a circle can never be greater than the radius. This is because the tangent line is always perpendicular to the radius, and the length of the radius is always greater than the length of the adjacent side in a right triangle, which is used to calculate the tangent.

What real-life applications use the concept of tangent of a circle?

The concept of tangent of a circle is used in a variety of real-life applications, including engineering, architecture, and construction. For example, it is used in designing bridges and buildings to determine the angle at which a support beam should be placed to ensure structural stability. It is also used in navigation and surveying to calculate distances and angles.