Tangent line to the curve f(x)= x + 1/x

In summary, you need to simplify the numerator before trying to find a common denominator. Once you have that, you can add the x's to get your answer.
theclock54

Homework Statement

So I have to find the tangent line when x=5. I use the difference quotient, but I'm stuck at the algebra? I can't seem to figure out what steps I should take.

Here's what I have:

[(x+h)+1/(x+h)] - (x+1/x)

I've tried numerous steps on how to solve this, but can't do so. What I've basically have been trying is is to get the common denominators for the left and right sides, and then get another common denominator for both sides. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you see derivatives, yet?? Because that's what you need to use.

theclock54 said:

Homework Statement

So I have to find the tangent line when x=5. I use the difference quotient, but I'm stuck at the algebra? I can't seem to figure out what steps I should take.

Here's what I have:

[(x+h)+1/(x+h)] - (x+1/x)

Besides the limit, you're missing one thing. You want:

[tex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

So really, you have:

[tex]\frac{(x+h)+\frac{1}{x+h} - (x+\frac{1}{x})}{h}[/tex]

Simplify this a bit and on the *numerator part, find a common denominator like you were doing before.

Yeah we're on derivatives, I just forgot to put the whole equation over h.

@gb7nash That's where I'm stuck, when find a common denominator and subtract both equations, the h doesn't cancel out. So I'm doing something wrong.

When I add the x+h and 1/x+h, I get [(x+h)^2 + 1]/(x+h) - (x^2+1)/x
Now do I get another common denominator?

theclock54 said:
Now do I get another common denominator?

Yes. Before you do anything with that, simplify the numerator. We can cancel something out.

@gb7nash

Okay, so now I have: [x^2+2xh+h^2+1]/(x+h) - (x^2+1)/x

Get another com. denom then I have: [x(x^2+2xh+h^2+1) - (x^2+1)] / x(x+h)

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do.

[tex]\frac{(x+h)+\frac{1}{x+h} - (x+\frac{1}{x})}{h} = \frac{h+\frac{1}{x+h} - \frac{1}{x}}{h}[/tex]

Now, looking at the numerator, we want to find a common denominator for [itex]\frac{1}{x+h}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]

How can we do this?

Ohh, I was trying to add up all the fractions first. I didn't even notice the x's canceled out. Okay, so when I subtract 1/x+h - 1/x I get -h/x+h

After the mess, I get my answer to be (h+x-1)/x+h

Related to Tangent line to the curve f(x)= x + 1/x

1. What is a tangent line to a curve?

A tangent line to a curve is a line that touches the curve at one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that specific point.

2. How do you find the equation of the tangent line to the curve f(x)= x + 1/x?

To find the equation of the tangent line, we need to find the derivative of the function f(x). In this case, the derivative is f'(x) = 1 - 1/x^2. Then, we can plug in the x-coordinate of the point of tangency into the derivative to find the slope. Finally, we use the point-slope form of a line to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the significance of the tangent line to the curve f(x)= x + 1/x?

The tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point. It can also be used to approximate the value of the function at that point. Additionally, the slope of the tangent line at a given point can provide insights about the behavior of the function at that point.

4. Can there be more than one tangent line to a curve at a given point?

No, there can only be one tangent line to a curve at a given point. This is because the tangent line must have the same slope as the curve at that point, and there can only be one slope at a specific point on a curve.

5. Is it possible for a tangent line to be horizontal?

Yes, it is possible for a tangent line to be horizontal. This occurs when the slope of the curve at a specific point is 0. In this case, the tangent line will be horizontal, and the function will have a horizontal tangent at that point.