Tangent line parallel to a plane

In summary, the tangent line of the given curve is parallel to the plane x + 2y + z = 0 if the direction vector of the tangent line, (1, 2t, 3t^2), is perpendicular to the normal vector of the plane, (1, 2, 1). The solution for t is -1/3 or -1. The underlying principle is that for a line to be parallel to a plane, the direction vector of the line must be perpendicular to the normal vector of the plane.
jakey
Hi guys,

I'm stuck with a problem here:

Let a curve be given by the following parametric equations: x=t, y=t^2, z=t^3. At which points is the tangent line (of the curve) parallel to the plane x + 2y + z = 0?

What is the underlying principle behind this?

My thoughts:
The tangent line is parallel to the plane if their normal vectors are colinear. The normal vector of the plane is (1,2,1). Now I'm stuck here.

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A line is parallel to a plane if the line is perpendicular to the plane's normal.
The direction of the tangent of the curve is: (1,2t,3t^2)
So 1*1+2*2t+1*3t^2=0, 3t^2+4t+1=0, (3t+1)(t+1)=0, t=-1/3 or -1.

jakey said:
Hi guys,

I'm stuck with a problem here:

Let a curve be given by the following parametric equations: x=t, y=t^2, z=t^3. At which points is the tangent line (of the curve) parallel to the plane x + 2y + z = 0?

What is the underlying principle behind this?

My thoughts:
The tangent line is parallel to the plane if their normal vectors are colinear. The normal vector of the plane is (1,2,1). Now I'm stuck here.

thanks!
A line does NOT have a "normal vector" (more correctly, there are an infinite number of vectors normal to a line- a line does not have a specific "normal vector").

A line has a direction vector that must be perpendicular to the normal vector of the plane in order that the line be parallel to the plane.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Tangent line parallel to a plane

1. What is the definition of a tangent line parallel to a plane?

A tangent line parallel to a plane is a line that touches the plane at only one point and is always parallel to the plane's slope.

2. How do you determine if a line is tangent and parallel to a plane?

A line is tangent and parallel to a plane if its slope is equal to the slope of the plane and it intersects the plane at only one point.

3. Can a tangent line be perpendicular to a plane?

No, a tangent line cannot be perpendicular to a plane because a tangent line must touch the plane at only one point, and a perpendicular line would intersect the plane at multiple points.

4. What is the relationship between a tangent line and a normal line to a plane?

A tangent line is always perpendicular to the normal line of a plane. This means that the angle between the tangent line and the normal line is always 90 degrees.

5. How do you find the equation of a tangent line parallel to a plane?

To find the equation of a tangent line parallel to a plane, you need to know the slope of the plane and the point at which the line touches the plane. You can then use the point-slope form or the slope-intercept form to write the equation.