T: Exploring Electric Field Behavior

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electric fields and how they behave in different situations. It delves into the idea of gauge transformations and the alternative gauges in which E&M fields can be defined. The first question asks about the behavior of electric fields and whether they propagate from a charge at the speed of light or if they are always present with the charge. It is determined that the former is correct and the latter is impossible due to the conservation of charge. The second question addresses whether Coulomb's Law is applicable when the charge is moving, and it is concluded that a correction factor must be added to account for the time lost in field propagation. The conversation also touches on the concept of relativity and how it affects the transformation of
Dr.Brain
Growing up from my high school physics where I was taught a simple formula for calculating the electric field. On reading on many physics books , I realized that I could precisely write down the whole electrodynamics on one page.I learned that these electrical influences cannot possibly travel at a speed greater than 'c'.So that put me to think about whether Coulombs Law was true or not because it didnot have the 'correction-factor' as I term it.Later while reading Fynmann-I , i got what I was looking for , I read about a good formula which sums up the whole electric field into an equation comprising of three terms .

First one is the coulombs Law which is suppose is wrong, because it does not take into account for fact that electrical influences have a speed limit of 'c'.

Second one is the correction factor which I had been looking for

Thord term is a sort of description for radiation.

My first question:

1. So how does electric field behave? Does it:

i) Propogate from the charge at 'c' and its strength decreases with distance while propogating.

ii) When a charge is created a field is always there with it, its their property, there is not initial propogation.

In the book , Feynman says that it is not possible to calculate the
electric field at a certain point because you don't know precisely where the charge is now and at what distance it is now. Also the electric field at a point is due to behavious of charge in the past, you cannot calculate what sthe ELECTRIC FIELD 'now'.So a correction-term is added to the formula of electric field at a point .

My Second question:

Is my explanation right?
"Coulomb's Law is perfect for finding electric field at a point only if the charge is at rest or the charge moves infinitesimally slowly, but when the charge is moving , we need to add some 'correction electric field' to make up for the 'r/c' time lost due to field propogation taking time"

BJ

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Dr. Brain,

It sounds to me like you're delving into the details of "gauge transformations", or at least in the alternative gauges that the E&M fields can be defined with.

These are complicated issues. Please forgive me if I screw up an explanation.

Dr.Brain said:
My first question:
1. So how does electric field behave? Does it:

i) Propogate from the charge at 'c' and its strength decreases with distance while propogating.

ii) When a charge is created a field is always there with it, its their property, there is not initial propogation.

Case (i) is correct. Case (ii) is impossible because charge is conserved. That is, when you create a + charge, you also have to simultaneously create a - charge. Thus the initially created situation is a dipole. When the pair is first produced, they are "infinitely" close together, and therefore the strength of the dipole is "infinitely" small. Note that this is all in the QM "position" representation. If you look at the problem in the momentum representation, you will be confused.

Dr.Brain said:
My Second question:
Is my explanation right?
"Coulomb's Law is perfect for finding electric field at a point only if the charge is at rest or the charge moves infinitesimally slowly, but when the charge is moving , we need to add some 'correction electric field' to make up for the 'r/c' time lost due to field propogation taking time"

This feels to me like a reasonable explanation, but it is not the one I would give.

Look at it from the point of view of relativity. If the charge is moving there is (at least instantaneously) a reference frame that moves with the charge. In that reference frame, the charge is not moving. So in that reference frame, the usual Coulomb's law will work.

So what you really want to know is how an electric field is transformed when you move from one reference frame to another. What happens is that the electric field becomes a mixture of an electric field and a magnetic field. So a moving charge produces an electric field (according to Coulomb's law) and a magnetic field (according to whoever's law that was).

If I recall correctly, the best way of looking at this is by using the potentials. That is, use the electric potential (voltage) whose gradient is the electric field, and the magnetic potential whose gradient is the magnetic field. The electric potential acts like the "time" component of a 4-vector whose "space" component is the potential of the magnetic field. This 4-vector transforms under the usual methods of transforming relativistic 4-vectors. This tells you how the potentials transform. (If I recall correctly, I admit it's been a quarter century since I was educated in the subject.) Since the potentials transform in this manner, it is fairly easy to find how the fields themselves transform.

Carl

Look at it from the point of view of relativity. If the charge is moving there is (at least instantaneously) a reference frame that moves with the charge. In that reference frame, the charge is not moving. So in that reference frame, the usual Coulomb's law will work.

In the reference frame you are talking about , no doubt charge will appear to be at rest , but the point on which we need to calculate the electric field will be moving , so Coulomb's Law is still not applicable unless the correction-factor is added.

Case (i) is correct. Case (ii) is impossible because charge is conserved. That is, when you create a + charge, you also have to simultaneously create a - charge. Thus the initially created situation is a dipole. When the pair is first produced, they are "infinitely" close together, and therefore the strength of the dipole is "infinitely" small. Note that this is all in the QM "position" representation. If you look at the problem in the momentum representation, you will be confused.

So should I say that " Electric field initially propogates from a charge at speed 'c' and its strength decreases with distance, and once it has propogated , there comes a static state where the field setup by above process remains as it is and then nothing else happens...(?)

Now let's say charge at rest has an electric field setup by above process, now when this charge moves from pt. A to pt.B , and it is still moving , when it is at B , does it carry the same electric field as A or does it again propogate a new electric field , becayse it is moving , does it have any effect on the field?

BJ

Related to T: Exploring Electric Field Behavior

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the presence and strength of an electric force at a particular point in space. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of electric charges. Positive charges create an outward electric field, while negative charges create an inward electric field. The strength of the field is determined by the magnitude and distribution of the charges.

3. How does the direction of an electric field relate to the direction of the electric force?

The direction of the electric field is always perpendicular to the direction of the electric force. This means that if the electric field lines are pointing towards a negative charge, the electric force on a positive charge will be in the opposite direction, away from the negative charge.

4. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the distance from the source charge, as well as the magnitude of the source charge. The type of medium the electric field is passing through can also affect its strength.

5. How is an electric field measured?

An electric field is typically measured using a device called an electric field meter. This device measures the force exerted on a charged particle in the field and can calculate the strength and direction of the electric field at a particular point.