System Loss In Terms of I why not V?

In summary, the best way to reduce system loss in a transmission line is to decrease the current flow through the line using a transformer. While voltage can also be used to calculate system loss, it is determined by the characteristic impedance of the line and therefore reducing the voltage may not be as effective in reducing losses. Losses are typically measured in logarithmic ratios, in dB per set length.
eee_engin33r
We all know that the system loss in transmission line is i^2R. So, in order to reduce the loss we diminish the current flow through the line by means of transformer.
My question is i can also calculate system loss by the formula v^2/R where v is the potential across transmission line. So, shouldn't we reduce the voltage instead of current in that sense?

Engineering news on Phys.org
in this case it would be the V DROP along the T line... not the applied voltage.

Likes pocho and eee_engin33r
At radio frequencies, as a signal travels along a transmission line energy is lost, mostly by I2R to the resistance of the line. But the ratio of voltage to current on the line is determined by the characteristic impedance of the line. So, stricktly speaking, it is power that is attenuated along a line of fixed characteristic impedance, unless there is reflected energy.

That is why losses are specified using logarithmic ratios, in dB per set length.

Related to System Loss In Terms of I why not V?

1. What is system loss?

System loss refers to the energy that is lost or dissipated in a system, often in the form of heat, due to various factors such as friction, resistance, and inefficiencies.

2. How does system loss affect voltage (V)?

System loss can cause a decrease in voltage (V) in a system due to the dissipation of energy. This means that the voltage at the end of a system will be lower than the voltage at the beginning.

3. Why is system loss important to consider in terms of I (current) and V (voltage)?

System loss is important to consider in terms of current (I) and voltage (V) because it can affect the efficiency and performance of a system. If there is too much system loss, it can result in a decrease in voltage and an increase in current, which can lead to overheating and potential damage to the system.

4. How can system loss be reduced?

System loss can be reduced through various methods such as using more efficient components, minimizing friction and resistance, and proper maintenance and upkeep of the system. Additionally, using systems with better insulation and conducting materials can also help reduce system loss.

5. Can system loss be completely eliminated?

No, system loss cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural occurrence in any system and is caused by various factors such as heat dissipation, resistance, and friction. However, it can be minimized to improve the overall efficiency and performance of a system.