Symmetry Problem Homework: Find Point of Ellipses

• Thread starter scientifico
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetry
In summary, the two ellipses are the same shape if you know where their centres are. If you know where their centres are, it is obvious where the symmetry point is.
scientifico

Homework Statement

Find the point in respect to these ellipses are symmetrical
x2 + 3y2 - 2x -2 = 0
x2 + 3y2 +6x + 12y +18 = 0

Homework Equations

x = 2a - x'
y = 2b - y'

The Attempt at a Solution

I have applied the equations of symmetry to the first equation then I've equaled the result to the second ellipse
4a2 + 12b2 - 4ax - 12bx - 4a -4x -20 -12y = 0

I don't know how to solve this for a and b or if I have mistaken something...
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
scientifico said:

Homework Statement

Find the point in respect to these ellipses are symmetrical
x2 + 3y2 - 2x -2 = 0

Homework Equations

x = 2a - x'
y = 2b - y'

The Attempt at a Solution

I have applied the equations of symmetry to the first equation then I've equaled the result to the second ellipse

I don't know how to solve this for a and b or if I have mistaken something...
thanks
Precisely, what is it you are trying to do here?

What is the full statement of the problem?

Write the equation of each ellipse in standard form.

##\displaystyle \frac{(x-h)^2}{A^2}+\frac{(y-k)^2}{B^2}=1##

I'm trying to find the symmetry point of that two ellipses, it should be (-1;-1) to find it I have to solve that for a and b but how ?

scientifico said:
I'm trying to find the symmetry point of that two ellipses, it should be (-1;-1) to find it I have to solve that for a and b but how ?
Yes. About 5 minutes before I saw your post, I figured out what you're trying to do.

Find the point of symmetry such that if you reflect the points on either ellipse through this point of symmetry, the points will be on the other ellipse.

You have a typo in the equation:
4a2 + 12b2 - 4ax - 12bx - 4a -4x -20 -12y = 0​

That should be
4a2 + 12b2 - 4ax - 12by - 4a -4x -20 -12y = 0​

The only way to make this be zero is for the coefficients of x and of y to be zero.

[STRIKE]It looks as if there is another error. The constant term must also be zero.[/STRIKE]

Added in Edit: The constant term will also be zero.

Last edited:
hi scientifico! :smile:
scientifico said:
x2 + 3y2 - 2x -2 = 0
scientifico said:
I'm trying to find the symmetry point of that two ellipses, it should be (-1;-1)

the two ellipses are the same shape

if you know where their centres are, isn't it obvious where the symmetry point is? :confused:

scientifico said:
I get a different equation. Pls post your working.
Once you have the right equation, you are looking for values of a and b that make the equation true for all x and y. (That can't work for the equation you got because the y coefficient is a nonzero constant.) Can you see how to use that?

Related to Symmetry Problem Homework: Find Point of Ellipses

1. What is the definition of symmetry in mathematics?

Symmetry in mathematics refers to a balanced arrangement of elements or objects. In geometry, symmetry can be defined as a correspondence or exact match between two parts of a figure, shape, or object when divided by a line, point, or plane.

2. How do you find the point of an ellipse using symmetry?

The point of an ellipse can be found by using the symmetry properties of the ellipse. Draw two lines of symmetry on the ellipse, dividing it into four equal parts. The point of the ellipse will be the intersection of these two lines.

3. What is the difference between major and minor axis in an ellipse?

The major axis of an ellipse is the longest diameter of the ellipse, while the minor axis is the shortest diameter. The major axis is also known as the longest chord, and the minor axis is known as the shortest chord of the ellipse.

4. Can an ellipse have more than one point of symmetry?

No, an ellipse can only have one point of symmetry. This is because an ellipse is a symmetrical shape, and a point of symmetry is a point where the shape can be folded and both sides will match perfectly.

5. What is the significance of finding the point of an ellipse in mathematics?

Finding the point of an ellipse can help in solving various mathematical problems and equations. It is also used in real-life applications such as satellite orbits, planetary movements, and designing curves in architecture and engineering.