'Symmetry argument' for eigenstate superposition

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the function ##\Psi## as a superposition of eigenstates in an infinite potential well of length [0; L]. The speaker first normalized the function and then used a reasoning involving integrals to find the contribution of odd and even eigenstates. The speaker is then asked to support this with a symmetry argument, which they explain by stating that only even eigenstates contribute to even functions due to the symmetry of the potential.
Skatelenneke
Homework Statement
For an infinite potential well of length [0 ; L], I am asked to write the following function ##\Psi## (at t=0) as a superposition of eigenstates (##\psi_n##):
$$\Psi (x, t=0)=Ax(L-x) $$
for ## 0<x<L##, and ##0## everywhere else.

The attempt at a solution
I have first normalized this function, which gave me a certain value for A.
Next, I used the following reasoning:
$$\Psi> = \sum_n \psi_n><\psi_n . \Psi> = \sum_n <\psi_n . \Psi> . \psi_n> $$
Where:
$$<\psi_n . \Psi> = \int_0^L \psi_n(x)^*.\Psi(x) dx$$
I have calculated these integrals to be:
$$C_n.(1-cos(n.\pi ))$$ where ##C_n## is a constant combination of L's, n's and numbers, not really relevant to my question I think.Here I see that only odd (uneven) eigenstates will contribute to the superposition that makes up the function ##\Psi##. Now I am asked to support this with a symmetry argument, but I don't know how this should be done.
I suspected I had to prove ##\Psi## is an uneven function, but it isn't as far as I can see. In class my teacher said something vague about the "completeness" of the Hilbertspace that prohibits even eigenstates to contribute to uneven wavefunctions, but I'm not too sure what that means. I'm not completely sure my integral calculation is correct, but any general explanation about this sort of symmetry argument would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Lennart :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably looking at odd and even wrt x = 0, this is not what the potential is symmetric around ...

Orodruin said:
You are probably looking at odd and even wrt x = 0, this is not what the potential is symmetric around ...
Oh I see! ##\Psi## is indeed symmetric/even around ##x=L/2##. So is it then a valid argument to say that only even eigenstates contribute to even functions?

Yes, by the symmetry the inner product with the odd states is zero.

Likes Skatelenneke

Related to 'Symmetry argument' for eigenstate superposition

1. What is the 'Symmetry argument' for eigenstate superposition?

The 'Symmetry argument' for eigenstate superposition is a theoretical framework used in quantum mechanics to explain the phenomenon of superposition, in which a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. It states that if a quantum system has a symmetrical property, then its eigenstates (or characteristic states) must also have the same symmetrical property.

2. How does the 'Symmetry argument' relate to the concept of superposition?

The 'Symmetry argument' provides a theoretical explanation for the existence of superposition in quantum systems. It states that if a system has a symmetrical property, then its eigenstates must also possess the same symmetry. This allows for the coexistence of multiple states in a quantum system, leading to the phenomenon of superposition.

3. Can you provide an example of the 'Symmetry argument' in action?

One example of the 'Symmetry argument' in action is the spin of an electron. The spin of an electron can have two possible eigenstates: spin-up and spin-down. These states are symmetric with respect to rotation, meaning that if the electron is rotated by 180 degrees, its state remains the same. This symmetry allows for the superposition of both spin-up and spin-down states, resulting in the concept of spin superposition.

4. How does the 'Symmetry argument' support the principles of quantum mechanics?

The 'Symmetry argument' provides a mathematical and theoretical framework for understanding the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of superposition. It demonstrates how symmetrical properties of a quantum system can lead to the coexistence of multiple states and supports the idea that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

5. Are there any criticisms or limitations of the 'Symmetry argument'?

Some scientists have criticized the 'Symmetry argument' for being too abstract and not providing a complete explanation for the phenomenon of superposition. Additionally, it only applies to systems with symmetrical properties, limiting its generalizability. However, the 'Symmetry argument' remains a widely accepted framework for understanding eigenstate superposition in quantum mechanics.