Switched from win10 and MATLAB to ubuntu and python"q"

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of learning multiple coding languages and strengthening coding skills in general, particularly in the context of using Relap5 and wanting to learn OpenFoam. The conversation also mentions the compatibility of Relap53D with Linux and the suggestion to consider a dual boot environment or virtualization for mastering Linux system maintenance and UNIX tools. The need to constantly learn new skills in the field of basic Sciences is also emphasized.
madhisoka
Hi, I felt like I have to learn more than one coding language, and wanted to strengthen my coding skills in general. I am good with Relap5 but I want to learn OpenFoam. is what I did logical and going to be worth the pain ? also I only have the Relap5 version of a windows ,is it possible to run it on Ubuntu " tried but it didnt work "

Physics news on Phys.org
https://relap53d.inl.gov/SitePages/Home.aspx

Relap53D is certified for OpenSUSE Linux. All of python and a lot of other modern development environments work well on Linux. Chances are very high that you will be required to use Linux a lot for many good reasons. Example: openfoam is Linux only.

I am guessing you may be running the Ubuntu app under Windows 10. If not consider WSL as a starting point. Only. Not the final destination.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux - WSL

After you become comfortable with that, consider seriously a dual boot environment, i.e., grub, or virtualization. Why? So you can master Linux system maintenance and very importantly, UNIX tools.

If you view learning to diversify your skill set as painful, you really may want to consider some other primary area of interest. This need to learn new skills will continue to happen as long as you work in basic Sciences like Physics. And it is accelerating.

Related to Switched from win10 and MATLAB to ubuntu and python"q"

What are the main differences between Windows 10 and Ubuntu as operating systems?

The main differences between these two operating systems are their user interface, customization options, and availability of software. Windows 10 has a more user-friendly interface, while Ubuntu is more customizable. Additionally, Ubuntu has a larger open-source software community, while Windows 10 has a larger selection of commercial software.

Why did you switch from MATLAB to Python?

There are a few reasons why I switched from MATLAB to Python. Firstly, Python is a free and open-source language, while MATLAB requires a paid license. Additionally, Python has a larger and more active community, providing more resources and support. Lastly, Python is a general-purpose language, making it more versatile for a variety of tasks compared to MATLAB, which is primarily used for numerical computing.

Is it difficult to transition from MATLAB to Python?

It can be challenging to transition from MATLAB to Python, especially for those who are used to the syntax and functionality of MATLAB. However, with some practice and tutorials, the transition can be smooth. The key is to understand the fundamental differences between the two languages and to take advantage of the resources available online.

How does switching to Ubuntu affect using Python?

Switching to Ubuntu will not affect using Python as it is a cross-platform language. Python can run on any operating system, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, using Ubuntu may provide some advantages, such as easier installation of packages and better compatibility with open-source software.

Do you miss using MATLAB after switching to Python?

As a scientist, I appreciate both MATLAB and Python for their unique strengths. While I do occasionally miss some features of MATLAB, I have found that Python is a more versatile and powerful language for a wider range of tasks. Plus, the open-source nature of Python allows for constant updates and improvements, making it a valuable tool for any scientist.