Swansea University puts up toilet instruction posters

In summary, this article discussing the use of toilet instruction posters at Swansea University notes that, while the Japanese typically place signs near the urinals advising people to take one step forward and two steps back when using the toilet, the Welsh apparently don't know how to use them properly and, as such, need instructions.
nobahar
Physics news on Phys.org
My father who is a facilities manager at a GE building has had to put up similar notices.

Well I'm sorry, but we in the Welsh Valleys haven't quite mastered the use of this modern contraption you call the lavatory.

In Japan it's typical to see a sign near the urinals "One step forward." To which someone added "Two steps back."

nobahar said:

It asks students to ensure used toilet roll is placed in the toilet

I hope that in the UK "toilet roll" means the thin sheets of tissue paper that come off what we on the other side of the Big Pond would call a "roll of toilet paper." Or can your toilets actually accommodate an entire wound-up roll of the stuff at once? :bugeye:

In my university long ago, the only instructions were scratched on the wall of the booth: "Flush twice, it's a long way to the dining hall."

JaredJames said:
Well I'm sorry, but we in the Welsh Valleys haven't quite mastered the use of this modern contraption you call the lavatory.

That's why you can't have full independence. If you can't figure out how to use a toilet correctly, you certainly can't run your own country.

jtbell said:
In my university long ago, the only instructions were scratched on the wall of the booth: "Flush twice, it's a long way to the dining hall."

A lot better than what's on the wall of some of the toilets here.

A lot of public restrooms need such instructions, at least in the ladies' rooms. One of the office staff was much blunter with toilet instructions in the bathroom closest to their office that seemed to be getting unusually dirty. They posted a sign, "Nobody wants to sit in urine, sit on the seat, don't urinate on it." It worked and now it's the cleanest bathroom on the floor.

nobahar said:
That's why you can't have full independence. If you can't figure out how to use a toilet correctly, you certainly can't run your own country.

Uh, the Welsh don't want independence.

nobahar said:
It's Friday night, I'm bored and too fed up with everything to do anything constructive. As such:
"Swansea University puts up toilet instruction posters".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-16983788
The picture is epic.

Do they have anything like the following?

dontdrinkthewater.jpg

From our newest and greenest building at work.

Implying...

:rolleyes:

jtbell said:
I hope that in the UK "toilet roll" means the thin sheets of tissue paper that come off what we on the other side of the Big Pond would call a "roll of toilet paper." Or can your toilets actually accommodate an entire wound-up roll of the stuff at once? :bugeye:
I confess, when reading the article, I had the same confusion.

And that, in itself, is an indication that different cultures have different understandings - and that providing instructions is a good idea.

Anyone who thinks this is a dumb idea has never visited some far foreign country and had to navigate their toilet systems. They can be confusing.

Reading the article about it, it made perfect sense given their international student population. I know I was often baffled when in Mozambique. I'd frequently end up in situations such as finding a toilet that didn't flush and had no paper available, but there was a bucket of water next to it. I didn't know if the water was meant for cleaning oneself or flushing the toilet. Since I didn't find a toilet full of waste and bidets were also common, it really could have gone either way, and by the time you realize the dilemma, it's too late to ask someone.

DaveC426913 said:
I confess, when reading the article, I had the same confusion.

And that, in itself, is an indication that different cultures have different understandings - and that providing instructions is a good idea.

Anyone who thinks this is a dumb idea has never visited some far foreign country and had to navigate their toilet systems. They can be confusing.

True - but it doesn't even have to be a far foreign country. I went to the University of Alaska Fairbanks for a year, and one of the RAs said they often have to coach students coming from remote villages on the how-to's of the bathroom, the communal kitchen, the laundry, key cards, etc.

nobahar said:
It's Friday night, I'm bored and too fed up with everything to do anything constructive. As such:
"Swansea University puts up toilet instruction posters".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-16983788
The picture is epic.

The picture is epic - as epic as the school crosswalk spelled "shcool".

According to this article, the proper position is to squat - not sit.

According to Bockus's Gastroenterology, a standard medical textfrom 1964, "the ideal posture for defecation is the squatting position, with the thighs fixed upon the abdomen."

Article:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Do ensure that used toilet roll is placed in toilet and flushed away."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

What is a "used toilet roll?" Is it a used roll of toilet paper? But people
don't normally use a roll of toilet paper in one sitting.

People are to place used portions of a roll of toilet paper into a
toilet bowl and flush them.

So the students at this university are to understand this.

Just wait for the ________ * to hit the fans.

* realization?

Last edited:
BobG said:
The picture is epic - as epic as the school crosswalk spelled "shcool".

This is true, and also why crap gets all over us when we sit. Think about it, all other creatures can just take care of business and walk off.

Why do I never learn? I should have known better than to post something trivial on PF, without being:

1) Chastised with a lecture (in this case on cultural differences), with relevant first hand experiences:

DaveC426913 said:

Moonbear said:
Reading the article about it, it made perfect sense given their international student population. I know I was often baffled when in Mozambique. I'd frequently end up in situations such as finding a toilet that didn't flush and had no paper available, but there was a bucket of water next to it. I didn't know if the water was meant for cleaning oneself or flushing the toilet. Since I didn't find a toilet full of waste and bidets were also common, it really could have gone either way, and by the time you realize the dilemma, it's too late to ask someone.

lisab said:
True - but it doesn't even have to be a far foreign country. I went to the University of Alaska Fairbanks for a year, and one of the RAs said they often have to coach students coming from remote villages on the how-to's of the bathroom, the communal kitchen, the laundry, key cards, etc.

2) An article linking to a scientific investigation of the topic. In this case, on how to go No. 2.

BobG said:

As for:
OmCheeto said:
Do they have anything like the following?

dontdrinkthewater.jpg

From our newest and greenest building at work.

Implying...

I don't care what country your from, that is unnecessary. It also implies that if it wasn't recycled: drink away!

Related to Swansea University puts up toilet instruction posters

1. What prompted Swansea University to put up toilet instruction posters?

After receiving numerous complaints about the state of the university's toilets, the administration decided to take action and put up instructional posters to remind students and faculty of proper bathroom etiquette.

2. What information is included on the toilet instruction posters?

The posters include instructions on how to properly flush the toilet, dispose of waste, and wash hands. They also remind users to keep the toilet area clean and report any issues to the facilities department.

3. Are these posters effective in improving the condition of the university's toilets?

Although it is still early to determine the full impact, initial reports show that the posters have been effective in reducing the number of complaints and improving the overall cleanliness of the toilets.

4. How were the instructions on the posters determined?

The instructions were developed by a team of university staff, including facilities managers and sanitation experts, who researched and identified the most effective and hygienic practices for toilet use.

5. Will other universities follow suit and put up similar toilet instruction posters?

It is likely that other universities will follow Swansea's lead and implement similar measures to improve the cleanliness and functionality of their toilets. This approach has been successful in other public facilities and is a cost-effective way to address common bathroom issues.