Surprising lightning observation

In summary, a physics grad student believed that all lightning results from the ionizing effect of cosmic rays. Tonight, he noticed a strange pattern of activity across the US where all systems were changing colors but were staying at around the same rate. He believes this pattern is due to the occurrence of cosmic rays at the time.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tonight I happened to check a "live" lightning map for activity, and noticed something odd. In about five separate areas of activity over the State of Oregon, separated by hundreds of miles and the Cascade mountains, the strike rate of all systems were changing, but ~equal, over a period of an hour. The colors didn't translate well from the screen shots, but it was clear that In the first frame linked, we see all as orange, which indicates a strike rate of between 90 and 120 per hour. In the next frame we see all as yellow, which represents a rate of 60-90 strikes per hour, and then we see all as white [it is a bit difficult to see but they are all still there], which represents 30-60 strikes per hour. Given that we would expect different heating and cooling cycles, different temperatures, different wind conditions, and even different times for sunset, why would the activity in lightning distributed so widely track so evenly?

This is the link I was using. This all comes from the animated map.
http://www.accuweather.com/maps-lig...cuweather&traveler=0&range=1&large=1&level=NW

Here is the first shot from 11:41 PM local time
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6126/lightning1ww3.jpg

This is the second shot from 12:11 AM
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6736/lightning2ud4.jpg

And this the third shot from 12:41 AM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/986/lightning3vw2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org

The weather was coming from S by SE, so perhaps this results from the collision of two fronts or temperature zones?

Wow, that really is odd. Did you have access to temperature information for those times? As you say, we would expect different temperatures in the different locations, but do we know they were different?

I did take a look at temps and saw a range of about ten degrees between the West and East side of the Cascades - 55 to 65 degrees. I guess I should have compared North to South.

I noticed the current map shows an isolated area of activity in Canada following the same pattern - orange to yellow to white - over the course of an hour.

I knew a physics grad student (crazily smart guy) in college who was researching lightning. He told me that it had been computed that there was not nearly enough potential difference between cloud and ground to cause lightning strikes, and that it was either "known" or "very highly suspected" by scientists that all lightning results from the ionizing effect of cosmic rays (I seem to recall muons mentioned by name) streaking down from space providing a path for current to flow. He further explained that this theory was not yet complete, then stated quite melodramatically that he "believed lightning had a secret" and he was going to find it. Using giant lasers. Somehow. I think he was actually disappointed that there wasn't a sudden thunderclap after he said this.

Anyway, I believe he mentioned that one of the pieces of evidence for this was that it had been observed that lightning frequency correlates perfectly with the rate at which cosmic rays are observed for a given area of Earth's surface at a given time.

I believe this would explain your observation.

Interesting. I was aware of the notion of cosmic rays playing a role, but I had never heard of this correlating to strike frequency.

Right now I am seeing the same effect over the entire NW US, and part of Canada.
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/5535/lightning4zx3.jpg

Again, orange to yellow to white, in one hour, across the board. My first thought would be that there is something wrong with the map, but to a limited extent I know it to be accurate.
http://www.accuweather.com/maps-lig...cuweather&traveler=0&range=1&large=1&level=NW

Last edited by a moderator:
It is most likely that there is something wrong with the map. It seems that the sequence is the same no matter what time I look.

Shame. The cosmic weather thing was cooler.

Xezlec said:
He told me that it had been computed that there was not nearly enough potential difference between cloud and ground to cause lightning strikes, and that it was either "known" or "very highly suspected" by scientists that all lightning results from the ionizing effect of cosmic rays (I seem to recall muons mentioned by name) streaking down from space providing a path for current to flow.

I believe this would explain your observation.

Yea I read an article on this conecpt in a science magazine 2 years ago found it quite interesting. Here is a link to Janurary Scientific American Article relating to it if anyone is interested.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=experts-do-cosmic-rays-cause-lightning

Related to Surprising lightning observation

1. What was the most surprising aspect of your lightning observation?

The most surprising aspect of my lightning observation was the color of the lightning. Instead of the typical bright white or yellow color, the lightning appeared to be a bright shade of purple.

2. How did you capture the lightning observation?

I used a high-speed camera with a lightning trigger to capture the lightning observation. The trigger allowed me to capture the split-second moment of the lightning strike.

3. Did you notice any unusual behavior or patterns in the lightning?

Yes, I observed that the lightning strikes were occurring in a zigzag pattern instead of the typical straight line. This could be due to the wind direction or other atmospheric conditions.

4. What safety precautions did you take while conducting the lightning observation?

I made sure to stay at a safe distance from the lightning strikes and was wearing protective gear such as a lightning rod and rubber-soled shoes. I also monitored the weather conditions closely and stopped the observation if there was any risk of danger.

5. Could this lightning observation have any significant impact on the scientific community?

It is possible that this lightning observation could contribute to a better understanding of lightning behavior and patterns. It could also potentially lead to further research on the effects of different atmospheric conditions on lightning strikes.