Surjection between kernel and image of a homomorphism

In summary, the first isomorphism theorem states that there exists an isomorphism between ##\frac{G}{\textrm{Ker}(f)}## and ##f(G)##. However, this does not necessarily imply the existence of a surjective homomorphism between the kernel and image of ##f##. Furthermore, for vector spaces, there is always a guarantee that we can find a surjection from a vector space to any of its subspaces by comparing their dimensions. However, this surjection may not necessarily be related to the original homomorphism ##f##.
burritoloco
Hi, I was wondering whether the following is true at all. The first isomorphism theorem gives us a relation between a group, the kernel, and image of a homomorphism acting on the group. Could this possibly also imply that there exists a surjective homomorphism either mapping the previous kernel to the image or the image to the kernel? It's not a homework question per se, just a question of mine. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first isomorphism theorem gives an isomorphism between ##\frac{G}{\textrm{Ker}(f)}## and ##f(G)##. I'm not sure how you would use this to find a surjection between the kernel and ##f(G)##. Can you explain why you think the first isomorphism theorem would imply this?

Also, notice that ##f(\textrm{Ker}(f)) = \{0\}##, so ##f## will not be the surjection you want.

Thanks! I'm not sure it would imply it at all, but it would definitely come in handy for what I'm trying to do :). Another related question: If I have a group isomorphism between two normal subgroups of two equally sized finite groups, then would the two groups also be isomorphic? And if so, would the same mapping of the normal subgroups (showing their isomorphism) also imply the group isomorphism?

No. Consider the non-isomorphic groups ##D_6## (dihedral group of order ##6##) and ##\mathbb{Z}_2\times \mathbb{Z}_3##. Both groups contain a normal subgroup isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}_3##.

I forgot to mention that for the first question the image is also contained within the group, if this is of any use. Also, I'm wondering whether we could even guarantee a surjection from a group to any of its normal subgroups?

Thank you for that :)

Ahh, now I see that I should have mentioned that I'm actually dealing with vector spaces instead of groups lol. D_6 is not abelian..

Vector space over what? Some kind of finite field?

Rightly guessed!

"Another related question: If I have a group isomorphism between two normal subgroups of two equally sized finite groups, then would the two groups also be isomorphic? And if so, would the same mapping of the normal subgroups (showing their isomorphism) also imply the group isomorphism?"

I just realized this is not true at all even for vector spaces. Scratch this. But I'm still curious about the 1st question. Even about a guarantee that we can find surjections from a vector space to any of its subspaces.

Intuitively I think it makes sense a surjection exists.

Then to find a surjection, you only need to compare the dimensions of the spaces in question. So in particular, if we have a vector space ##V## and a subspace ##W## we can always find a surjection from ##V## to ##W##.
How? Well, we can find a basis ##\{e_1,...,e_n\}## of ##V## such that ##\{e_1,...,e_k\}## is a basis of ##W##. Then we can use projections as a surjection, that is, take the function

[tex]f(\alpha^1e_1 + ... + \alpha^ne_n) \rightarrow \alpha^1e_1 + ... + \alpha^ke_k[/tex]

Similarly, if ##V## and ##V^\prime## have the same dimension, and if there is an isomorphism ##f:W\rightarrow W^\prime## between subspaces, then we can always extend this isomorphism to an isomorphism between ##V## and ##V^\prime##. We again take right bases for ##V## and ##V^\prime## and we use them to find an isomorphism.

Now, for your question in the OP. There will be a surjection from ##\textrm{Ker}(f)## to ##f(G)## if the dimension of the kernel is greater than the dimension of the image. But even then, I don't think the surjection that we will find will necessarily have anything to do with ##f##.

Perfect, thank you. The vectors that are not in the span of the subspace basis are just sent to 0!

Related to Surjection between kernel and image of a homomorphism

1. What is a surjection between the kernel and image of a homomorphism?

A surjection between the kernel and image of a homomorphism is a function that maps elements from the kernel of a homomorphism to elements in the image of the homomorphism. This means that every element in the image has at least one pre-image in the kernel.

2. How does a surjection between the kernel and image of a homomorphism relate to group theory?

In group theory, a surjection between the kernel and image of a homomorphism is important because it helps us understand the structure of the group. It allows us to identify the elements that map to the identity element and those that are mapped to non-trivial elements in the image.

3. What is the significance of a surjection between the kernel and image of a homomorphism in abstract algebra?

A surjection between the kernel and image of a homomorphism is significant in abstract algebra because it helps us understand the relationship between different groups and their subgroups. It also allows us to study the properties of groups and their subgroups in a more systematic way.

4. Can a homomorphism have a surjection between its kernel and image without being an isomorphism?

Yes, a homomorphism can have a surjection between its kernel and image without being an isomorphism. This is because an isomorphism also requires the function to be one-to-one, which means that every element in the image has a unique pre-image. A surjection only requires that every element in the image has at least one pre-image.

5. How is a surjection between the kernel and image of a homomorphism different from an injection?

A surjection between the kernel and image of a homomorphism is different from an injection because an injection requires that every element in the image has a unique pre-image, while a surjection only requires that every element in the image has at least one pre-image. In other words, an injection is a one-to-one function, while a surjection is a many-to-one function.