Surface integrals/Surface areas of arbitrary domain regions

In summary, you can solve a surface integral in two ways. The first way is to use the formula dxdy= \frac{\partial x, y}{\partial u,v} dudv where \frac{\partial x,y}{\partial u, v} is the Jacobian. This method is more appropriate as you are given ##\vec \phi##. The second way is to use the "algebra of differential forms" which is anti-symmetric. This method is more appropriate if you are not given ##\vec \phi##.
PhysicsKid0123
I'm having trouble evaluating this surface integral. This would be very simple to solve if the parameter domain of the variables u and u was a square region. However, that isn't the case here. I've tried using a change of variables and saying that u = r cos x, and v = r sin x. Where 0 < x < 2pi, and 0 < r < 2 for the limits of integration. However, computing the surface differential (absolute value of the cross product of the partial derivatives) using the new variables has become way to complicating and tedious. I end up with about 6 or 7 terms of sines and cosines under a square root that cannot be simplified. Was this the way to approach this problem? I also thought about parametrizing the region R, but I'm not sure how that would work.Also, since I'm already here, how would I be able to do this for some general region R in the u-v plane? This is what lead me to think of a parametrization of a region R. So basically a parametrization within a parametrization. Mhmm, sounds interesting. Is that possible?

Thank you.

P.S. Tried looking around and haven't been able to find something that could answer my question.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
Given parametric equations for a surface, x= f(u, v), y= g(u, v), there are two ways of handling surface integrals. One is just to use the formula [itex]dxdy= \frac{\partial x, y}{\partial u,v} dudv[/itex] where [itex]\frac{\partial x,y}{\partial u, v}[/itex] is the Jacobian,
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial x}{\partial u} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial u} \\ \frac{\partial x}{\partial v} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial v}\end{array}\right|[/tex].

More fundamentally, you need the "algebra of differential forms" which is anti-symmetric (to really understand why requires a course in "differential geometry" and "differential forms").

If x= f(u,v) then [itex]dx= f_u du+ f_v dv[/itex]. If y= g(u. v) then [itex]dy= g_u du+ g_v dv[/itex].
Multiplying, [itex]dxdy= (f_u)(g_u)(du)(du)+ (f_u)(g_v)(du)(dv)+ (f_v)(g_u)(dv)(du)+ (f_v)(g_v)(dv)(dv)[/itex]. Since multiplication of differential forms is anti-symmetric, (du)(du)= (dv)(dv)= 0 and (dv)(du)= -(du)(dv) so that reduces to [itex]dxd7= (f_ug_v- g_vf_u)dudv[/itex] as given by the Jacobian.

Here's the problem in a latex form:

$$I = \frac{1}{4} \iint_S dS$$

You are given the surface ##\vec \phi(u,v) = <u+v, u^2 + v^2, u-v>## with ##u^2 + v^2 \leq 4##.

For the surface integral of a scalar function, ##dS = ||\vec \phi_u \times \vec \phi_v|| \space dA## or ##dS = \sqrt{z_u^2 + z_v^2 + 1} \space dA##.

The first form of ##dS## seems more appropriate as you are given ##\vec \phi##. So:

$$I = \frac{1}{4} \iint_S dS = \frac{1}{4} \iint_D ||\vec \phi_u \times \vec \phi_v|| \space dA$$

Simply switching to polar co-ordinates from here gives your limits for ##r## and ##\theta##. Then:

$$I = \frac{1}{4} \iint_S dS = \frac{1}{4} \iint_D ||\vec \phi_u \times \vec \phi_v|| \space dA = \frac{1}{4} \iint_{D'} ||\vec \phi_{u=rcos(\theta)} \times \vec \phi_{v=rsin(\theta)}|| \space rdrd\theta$$

Hk, I solved it not to long after posting it. Sorry. Hopefully someone finds this useful though

Related to Surface integrals/Surface areas of arbitrary domain regions

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used in multivariable calculus to calculate the surface area of a three-dimensional object. It involves integrating a function over a surface, taking into account the curvature and orientation of the surface.

2. How is a surface integral different from a regular integral?

A surface integral is similar to a regular integral in that it involves summing infinitesimal pieces over a given region. However, in a surface integral, the region is a two-dimensional surface rather than a one-dimensional curve.

3. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many practical applications, including calculating the surface area of an object, finding the flux of a vector field through a surface, and determining the mass of a curved object. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. How do you calculate a surface integral?

The exact method for calculating a surface integral depends on the specific problem and the type of surface involved. However, there are generally two approaches: the parametric approach, which involves parameterizing the surface, and the implicit approach, which involves using equations to define the surface.

5. Can a surface integral be negative?

Yes, a surface integral can be negative. This can occur when the surface has a negative orientation or when the function being integrated takes on negative values over the surface. However, in some cases, a negative surface integral may also indicate an error in the calculation.