Surface integral without using Gauss's Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of a surface integral over a cylinder defined by c2 = x2 + y2. One person suggests using Gauss's theorem to simplify the problem, while the other person wonders how to integrate directly without using the theorem. They also discuss dividing the surface into three pieces and determining the variables that change and stay the same for each piece.
mattmatt321

Homework Statement

Find the value of the surface integral [tex]\int[/tex]A [tex]\bullet[/tex] da, where A = xi - yj + zk, over the surface defined by the cylinder c2 = x2 + y2. The height of the cylinder is h.

Homework Equations

I found the answer quite easily using Gauss's theorem, as the divergence of the vector A is simply 1, so the volume integral reduces to [tex]\int[/tex]dv, which just becomes the volume of the cylinder. However, I was wondering how to integrate directly without using Gauss's theorem; i.e., integrate the original surface integral [tex]\int[/tex]A [tex]\bullet[/tex] da. I feel like this is a pretty simple question and I'm thinking way too hard.

Physics news on Phys.org
mattmatt321 said:
I found the answer quite easily using Gauss's theorem, as the divergence of the vector A is simply 1, so the volume integral reduces to [tex]\int[/tex]dv, which just becomes the volume of the cylinder. However, I was wondering how to integrate directly without using Gauss's theorem; i.e., integrate the original surface integral [tex]\int[/tex]A [tex]\bullet[/tex] da. I feel like this is a pretty simple question and I'm thinking way too hard.

Divide the cylinder's surface up into 3 pieces: two endcaps and one curved surface. What is [itex]d\textbf{a}[/itex] for each of these 3 pieces? What variables change over each surface, which stay the same (and what are their fixed values)?

Related to Surface integral without using Gauss's Theorem

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a scalar or vector field over a given surface. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of integrating over a one-dimensional curve, it integrates over a two-dimensional surface.

2. How is a surface integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral integrates over a one-dimensional curve, while a surface integral integrates over a two-dimensional surface. In other words, a surface integral calculates the total value of a field over a surface, while a regular integral calculates the total value of a function over an interval.

3. Can a surface integral be calculated without using Gauss's Theorem?

Yes, a surface integral can be calculated without using Gauss's Theorem. There are other methods for calculating surface integrals, such as using parametrization or using the divergence theorem.

4. Why would someone choose not to use Gauss's Theorem for a surface integral?

There are several reasons why someone may choose not to use Gauss's Theorem for a surface integral. One reason could be that the surface is not closed, meaning it does not form a complete boundary. Another reason could be that the surface is not smooth, making it difficult to apply the theorem.

5. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals without using Gauss's Theorem?

Surface integrals without using Gauss's Theorem have many real-world applications. They are used in physics to calculate the flux of a vector field through a surface, in engineering to determine the work done by a force on a surface, and in fluid mechanics to calculate the mass flow rate through a surface. They also have applications in computer graphics and computer vision for shape analysis and reconstruction.