Surface Integral (two different answers?)

In summary: No, it's the other way around ##\vec R_r## is the derivative with respect to r. And, yes, if you imagine r constant (like a cylinder) you might write a dS like that down. But it would be wrong.Hmm that makes sense. In my geometric derivation of dS, did I assume that R is constant somewhere?yes, the equation dS=r d(theta) dz only works for a surface of constant (cylindrical) radius. For a general surface, the equation will be different. Also, it doesn't matter which coordinates you use, in the sense that you could usedS = |\vec R_r \times\
unscientific

Homework Statement

1t5vv4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what's wrong with mine or the provided solution..both seems to be right.

My Solution:
e01tav.png

Provided Solution:
106diye.png

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:

Homework Statement

1t5vv4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what's wrong with mine or the provided solution..both seems to be right.

My Solution:
e01tav.png

Provided Solution:
106diye.png

I don't know why you just decided to use ##dS=r d\phi dz## instead of calculating it like the book did. Your solution is wrong. The dS you are using looks more like a dS for a cylinder than a paraboloid.

Dick said:
I don't know why you just decided to use ##dS=r d\phi dz## instead of calculating it like the book did. Your solution is wrong. The dS you are using looks more like a dS for a cylinder than a paraboloid.

But it shouldn't matter what coordinates you choose, right? It's not exactly a cylinder, as r is changing with z; r = √(2-z) and the equation x2 + y2 = 2 - z
is in the form of x2 + y2 = r2..

unscientific said:
But it shouldn't matter what coordinates you choose, right? It's not exactly a cylinder, as r is changing with z; r = √(2-z) and the equation x2 + y2 = 2 - z
is in the form of x2 + y2 = r2..

You must use the correct dS for your parameterization. You can either calculate dS in terms of x and y like they did or directly from your parameterization. The parameterization of that surface in cylindrical coordinates is$$
\vec R(r,\theta)=\langle r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta,2-r^2\rangle$$If you use that approach, the formula for dS is$$
dS = |\vec R_r \times\vec R_\theta|drd\theta$$

LCKurtz said:
You must use the correct dS for your parameterization. You can either calculate dS in terms of x and y like they did or directly from your parameterization. The parameterization of that surface in cylindrical coordinates is$$
\vec R(r,\theta)=\langle r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta,2-r^2\rangle$$If you use that approach, the formula for dS is$$
dS = |\vec R_r \times\vec R_\theta|drd\theta$$

Hmm that makes sense. In my geometric derivation of dS, did I assume that R is constant somewhere?

is Rr = ∂R/∂θ

and

Rθ = ∂R/∂r ??

unscientific said:
Hmm that makes sense. In my geometric derivation of dS, did I assume that R is constant somewhere?

is Rr = ∂R/∂θ

and

Rθ = ∂R/∂r ??

No, it's the other way around ##\vec R_r## is the derivative with respect to r. And, yes, if you imagine r constant (like a cylinder) you might write a dS like that down. But it would be wrong.

unscientific said:
yes, the equation dS=r d(theta) dz only works for a surface of constant (cylindrical) radius. For a general surface, the equation will be different. Also, it doesn't matter which coordinates you use, in the sense that you could use
[tex]dS = |\vec R_r \times\vec R_\theta|drd\theta [/tex]
Or you could use
[tex]dS = |\vec R_z \times\vec R_\theta|dzd\theta [/tex]
Either of these equations would give you the correct answer. The second one is the 'correct way' to do the surface you were thinking of (i.e. integrating over theta and z). The main thing is that you need to substitute your 'parameterisation' into [itex]\vec{R}[/itex] before you do the partial integration. i.e. if you do the second equation for dS, then you will need to replace r with a function of z, then differentiate the position vector with respect to z.

Or, I guess equivalently, you can say that the partial derivative with respect to z is done, while only holding theta constant (i.e. r is allowed to vary).

Related to Surface Integral (two different answers?)

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used in multivariable calculus to calculate the total value of a three-dimensional surface. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of integrating over a one-dimensional curve, it integrates over a two-dimensional surface.

2. What is the difference between a single and double surface integral?

A single surface integral calculates the total value of a surface over a single variable, such as area. A double surface integral calculates the total value over two variables, such as volume. It is essentially an extension of the single surface integral, allowing for the calculation of more complex surfaces.

3. How is a surface integral calculated?

A surface integral is calculated using a double integral, where the first integral represents the area of a small portion of the surface, and the second integral represents the value of the function over that area. This is then summed up over the entire surface to calculate the total value.

4. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have various applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the flux of a vector field through a surface, finding the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and calculating the work done by a force on a solid object. They are also used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional images.

5. How can I solve a surface integral problem?

To solve a surface integral problem, you first need to determine the bounds of the integral, which will depend on the shape and orientation of the surface. Then, you need to set up the appropriate double integral and evaluate it using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. It is important to carefully consider the given function and surface to choose the correct method for solving the integral.