Surface Integral: Find Area of Cone (0 ≤ z ≤ 4)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the surface area of a cone with the equation z^2 = 4x^2 + 4y^2 for 0 ≤ z ≤ 4. The homework equations involve using a surface integral to solve for the area, but the person is having trouble figuring out the limits of integration. Another person suggests using polar coordinates and integrating over the region in the xy plane that the surface lies over. Eventually, the solution is found to be 4π√5. The person asks for clarification on how this integration gives the surface area, and it is explained that everything in the surface integral is a function of x and y, so it is essentially integrating over the entire surface.
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the area of the following surface using an explicit description of a surface.

The cone [tex]z^2=4x^2+4y^2\mbox{ for } 0 \leq z \leq 4[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\iint_s f(x,y,z)dS=\iint_R f(x,y,g(x,y))\sqrt{z^2_x+z^2_y +1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the dS portion of this, and it is [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex], however, I can not seem to figure out my limits of integration.

[tex]\iint \sqrt{5}dA[/tex] should be my set-up?

From geometry I know the answer is [tex]4\pi\sqrt{5}[/tex], but I can't seem to get it via integration.

The radius at the top is 2, the height is 4, but the radius is also variable as you go down the cone, so it needs a third parameter. However, this should only be done with a double integral, so I am lost.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mac

P.S. Any advice on how to keep my Latex in line with my sentences would also be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
MacLaddy said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of the following surface using an explicit description of a surface.

The cone [tex]z^2=4x^2+4y^2\mbox{ for } 0 \leq z \leq 4[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\iint_s f(x,y,z)dS=\iint_R f(x,y,g(x,y))\sqrt{z^2_x+z^2_y +1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the dS portion of this, and it is [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex], however, I can not seem to figure out my limits of integration.

[tex]\iint \sqrt{5}dA[/tex] should be my set-up?

From geometry I know the answer is [tex]4\pi\sqrt{5}[/tex], but I can't seem to get it via integration.

The radius at the top is 2, the height is 4, but the radius is also variable as you go down the cone, so it needs a third parameter. However, this should only be done with a double integral, so I am lost.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mac

P.S. Any advice on how to keep my Latex in line with my sentences would also be appreciated.

You just want to integrate dxdy over the region in the xy plane that your surface lies over, in this case the interior of the circle ## x^2+y^2=4 ##, right? You can do it in xy coordinates, but it's easier in polar. To keep your tex on the same line use the 'itex' delimiter instead of 'tex'.

Dick said:
You just want to integrate dxdy over the region in the xy plane that your surface lies over, in this case the interior of the circle ## x^2+y^2=4 ##, right? You can do it in xy coordinates, but it's easier in polar. To keep your tex on the same line use the 'itex' delimiter instead of 'tex'.

Well then, that's unbelievably simple... [itex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\sqrt{5}rdrd\theta=4\pi\sqrt{5}[/itex]. It's almost like I forgot how to do polar for a minute. (thanks for the itex tip)

However, this confuses me. If all I'm integrating is the circle at the top, then how does [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] give me the surface area? That integration gives the area of that top circle, not even the volume of the cone.

Sorry, it's not intuitive for me.

Thanks for the help,
Mac

MacLaddy said:
Well then, that's unbelievably simple... [itex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\sqrt{5}rdrd\theta=4\pi\sqrt{5}[/itex]. It's almost like I forgot how to do polar for a minute. (thanks for the itex tip)

However, this confuses me. If all I'm integrating is the circle at the top, then how does [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] give me the surface area? That integration gives the area of that top circle, not even the volume of the cone.

Sorry, it's not intuitive for me.

Thanks for the help,
Mac

You aren't really integrating over the 'circle at the top'. Everything in your surface integral is a function of x and y. So you want to integrate over all x and y such that (x,y,z(x,y)) with z(x,y)=sqrt(4*x^2+4*y^2) is on the part of the cone you are considering. It's just that circle of radius 2 in the xy plane.

Interesting. I think I'll have to run through the proof once or twice to understand fully.

Thanks again.
Mac

Related to Surface Integral: Find Area of Cone (0 ≤ z ≤ 4)

1. How do I find the area of a cone using a surface integral?

To find the area of a cone using a surface integral, you will need to use the formula A = ∫∫√(1+ (dz/dx)^2 + (dz/dy)^2)dxdy, where A is the surface area, dz/dx and dz/dy are the partial derivatives of the cone's equation with respect to x and y, and the integral is taken over the base of the cone.

2. What is the significance of the range 0 ≤ z ≤ 4 in this surface integral?

The range 0 ≤ z ≤ 4 indicates that the surface area of the cone is only being calculated for points between the base and the apex of the cone. This range is necessary because the surface area of the cone extends infinitely in the z direction, but we are only interested in the portion of the cone that is within a certain height range.

3. Can a surface integral be used to find the area of any three-dimensional object?

No, a surface integral can only be used to find the area of objects that can be represented by a continuous surface. This includes objects like cones, cylinders, and spheres, but it cannot be used for more complex objects with holes or discontinuities.

4. Is it possible to use a surface integral to find the volume of a cone?

No, a surface integral is used to find the surface area of an object, not its volume. To find the volume of a cone, you would need to use a triple integral.

5. How accurate is the surface area calculated using a surface integral compared to other methods?

The surface area calculated using a surface integral is very accurate, as it takes into account the shape and curvature of the cone. Other methods, such as using a ruler to measure the circumference and height of the cone and then using the formula for the surface area of a cone, may be less accurate due to human error and not accounting for the curve of the cone.