Surface Function of Tilted & Rotated Circle Around Z-Axis

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the creation of an elliptic torus by rotating an ellipse around an axis. The proposed shape has a horizontal semi-axis of R and a vertical semi-axis of R*cos(beta), where beta represents the angle at which the ellipse is tilted or inclined. However, in order for the shape to be a valid torus, the distance from the center to the z-axis should vary based on beta, rather than being a constant. Additionally, the resulting shape may not look like a perfect torus when plotted in 3D, as the equation used is a general equation for an elliptic surface. Adjustments may need to be made in terms of the red line used for rotation to ensure a smooth
zs96742
My first idea is this will result in a elliptic torus. The horizontal semi-axis a=R and the vertical semi-axis b=R*cos(beta). assuming the titled or inclined angle is beta. The distance away from the z-axisis c and it is a constant. But it looks not when I plot the surface in 3D using the elliptic equation given on wolfram elliptic.

The green dot points are generated by rotating the red line around the z axis and then plot the corresponding circle in 3D space.

The surface I created using the torus equation is somehow like the bottom one:
untitled.png
untitled2.png

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your idea! I can offer some insights and feedback on your proposed elliptic torus.

Firstly, an elliptic torus is a valid geometric shape that can be created by rotating an ellipse around an axis. In this case, the ellipse has a horizontal semi-axis of R and a vertical semi-axis of R*cos(beta). This means that the shape of the torus will change depending on the value of beta, which represents the angle at which the ellipse is tilted or inclined.

However, I noticed that you mentioned a constant distance c away from the z-axis. In order for this to be a valid torus, the distance from the center of the torus to the z-axis should be the same at every point around the torus. This means that c should be a function of beta, rather than a constant.

Additionally, when plotting the surface in 3D using the elliptic equation, it is important to note that the resulting shape may not look exactly like a torus. This is because the equation used by Wolfram is a general equation for an elliptic surface, and not specifically for a torus.

I also noticed that you mentioned generating the green dot points by rotating a red line around the z-axis. In order to create a true torus, the red line should be an ellipse, rather than a straight line. This will ensure that the resulting surface is smooth and continuous.

Overall, your idea of creating an elliptic torus is valid, but some adjustments may need to be made in order to accurately represent this shape in 3D space. I encourage you to continue exploring and experimenting with different parameters to see how the shape changes.

Best of luck with your project!

Related to Surface Function of Tilted & Rotated Circle Around Z-Axis

What is the surface function of a tilted and rotated circle around the z-axis?

The surface function of a tilted and rotated circle around the z-axis is a mathematical representation of the points on the surface of the circle as it is tilted and rotated around the z-axis. It is typically expressed as a function of the angle of rotation and the coordinates of the points on the circle.

How is the surface function of a tilted and rotated circle around the z-axis calculated?

The surface function is calculated using a combination of trigonometric functions and coordinates of the points on the circle. The exact calculation may vary depending on the specific parameters of the tilted and rotated circle.

What is the significance of studying the surface function of a tilted and rotated circle around the z-axis?

Understanding the surface function of a tilted and rotated circle around the z-axis is important in many scientific and engineering fields, such as computer graphics, robotics, and astronomy. It allows us to accurately represent and manipulate 3D objects in a 2D space.

How does the surface function change as the circle is tilted and rotated around the z-axis?

As the circle is tilted and rotated around the z-axis, the surface function will also change. This can be seen in the coordinates of the points on the circle, as well as the overall shape of the circle when viewed from different angles.

Are there any real-world applications of the surface function of a tilted and rotated circle around the z-axis?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this concept. For example, in computer graphics, understanding the surface function is crucial for creating realistic 3D images and animations. In robotics, it can be used to program the movements of robotic arms. In astronomy, it can be used to calculate the trajectory of a planet or satellite as it orbits around a central axis.